Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Nostalgia & History > GN fans, need a location please

Date: 08/29/04 14:01
GN fans, need a location please
Author: yardclerk

Here is a picture of Great Northern 260 sent to me by a friend a while back.

Does anyone recognize this location? Appreciate any info.

Yardclerk

Date: 08/29/04 14:05
Re: GN fans, need a location please

Need a location on this picture also. TIA.

Yardclerk

Date: 08/29/04 14:11
Author: truxtrax

First looks like it might be Interbay (Balmer) yard in Seattle. No idea about the second picture.
I'm just guessing, because I haven't been in that part of Seattle for about 8 years.

Butch,,,,,,here we go

Date: 08/29/04 14:48
Author: spnudge

Looks like Seattle. The hills.

Nudge

Date: 08/29/04 16:23
Author: funnelfan

Top one looks like Interbay just west of the roundhouse/turntable. The bottom may be a southbound just south of the King St. Station in Seattle, but I'm not so sure on that one.

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 08/29/04 19:07
Author: rob_l

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Top one looks like Interbay just west of the
> roundhouse/turntable. The bottom may be a
> southbound just south of the King St. Station in
> Seattle, but I'm not so sure on that one.
>
> Ted Curphey
> funnelfan@icehouse.net

Both correct.

260 looks to be part of the Empire Builder power consist laying over at Interbay after the early am arrival on 31, will take 32 back in the mid pm.

The Alcos are powering a Portland-bound train (a standard assignment for them in the 60s), crossing over between King St. and Argo. If you look carefully, you can see the King St. Station tower in the background.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 08/29/04 21:11

Guys,

Are Interbay and King Street Station in Seattle? I've barely been west of Gotebo Oklahoma. BTW, that's pronounced Goaty-Bo!

Yardclerk

Date: 08/29/04 23:32
Author: ATSF100WEST

Yardclerk,

Yes, Interbay Yard, and King Street Station, are both Seattle fixtures.

Nice Pics, BTW!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 08/30/04 08:43
Author: spjim

The location of the photo of 278-A is approximately where the tracks currently go under the rear of Safeco Field.

On the far right is an NP switch engine with a baggage car, probably coming out of the NP-GN coach yard.

Between the switch engine and the GN freight train is the UP-Milwaukee Union Station.

On the left is the location of the former NP and GN freight houses, torn down to build the King Dome, which was torn down to build Seahawk Stadium.

Here's a photo from a location a little to the south: http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/north_coast_limited.html

Here's a mid-1950s view of the area taken from the Smith Tower: http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/smith_tower_view_2a.jpg
1 = Union Station
4 = King Street Station
9&10 = NP-GN Freight houses
13 = NP-GN Coach Yard
I believe the photo of 278-A was taken from a location just below and to the left of the number 13.

Other numbers:
2 = Union Station sheds. A train (probably the UP pool train) is in the station.
3 = Intersection of 2nd Ave So, 4th Ave. So. & So. Jackson St.
5 = Upper parking lot.
6 = Location of former PO Terminal Annex
7 = REA building
8 = Team tracks
11 = Later location of King Dome and Seahawk Stadium
12 = Later location of Safeco Field
14 = Main NP-GN line to the south
15 = New PO Terminal Annex at So. Lander St.

Date: 08/30/04 11:15
Re: More info
Author: spjim

The building under construction at the far left of the 278-A photo appears to be the Norton Building, built in 1959. That should help date the photo.

Date: 08/30/04 13:22
Author: steampower

Yes, nice shots.....!

The first one is the engine servicing facilities (including the roundhouse which is still in use).
Although lately having ridden the Sounder Commuter Rail between Seattle and Everett, this facility looks pretty empty, but as busy as BNSF is these days,motive power sitting around guzzling hydrocarbons pulling nothing ain't making money for the beancounters!!!!!!!!!

Steampower

Date: 08/30/04 14:11
Author: plowboy

Great photos yardclerk. I know where Gotebo is. In fact, I was through there last week. Thriving metropolis

Plowboy

Date: 08/30/04 14:14
Author: plowboy

By the way, do you have any photos of the Rock Island in the Gotebo or Kiowa County area?

Plowboy

Date: 08/30/04 22:02

Sorry, no I don't. Just never managed to get down there when the Rock Island was still running.

Yardclerk

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2595 seconds