Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Nostalgia & History > Handing Up

Date: 09/04/04 20:01
Handing Up
Author: odub

A couple weeks ago, there were several threads with mentions of handing up orders. Here's a gentleman named Dave Bosch handing up to Milwaukee Road's daily run from Portland to Tacoma as it passes Vancouver, WA in 1977. At that time, every train that passed the depot received orders. I used to really like to work this job when I was an extra telegrapher except for the keypunch duties.

Don Hall
Yreka, CA

Date: 09/04/04 20:42
Re: Handing Up
Author: MTMEngineer

I've never noticed that white lettering below the (uniquely Milwaukee)number plate before.

What did it say?

Date: 09/04/04 20:58
Internal Spark Arrestor

Had to dig out the slide. Here's a blowup.

Don

Date: 09/04/04 21:28
Re: Internal Spark Arrestor
Author: MTMEngineer

odub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Had to dig out the slide. Here's a blowup.
>
> Don

Interesting. Thank you.

Date: 09/04/04 21:30

After we handed up to the head-end, we'd set the hoop into a hole in the asphault next to the track and the caboose would snare it without our having to hang around (this was a very busy job). You can see the hoop sticking straight up just behind Dave Bosch. Nice power this particular day, as well.

Don

Date: 09/06/04 22:49
Author: choochoocharlie

Thanks for posting those nice Milwaukee RD shots. They look great.
C.C.Chas.

Date: 09/07/04 16:19
Author: TCnR

Looks like the second unit from the rear is one of the slugs. The Milw had a pair of F-unit A's with two slugs in between for helping up the hill out of Tacoma. Looks like 3 of the 4 units made it to Portland, guess the extra slug stayed home, or maybe there was more. I guess they were used as a road set when needed.
Thanks for posting the photos, Tacoma to Portland doesn't seem to have had much coverage in dem days.

Date: 09/07/04 21:05
Author: NPRY1960

don, was vancouver (mx) a sp&s job, or a np job? also, do you know if the sp&s disprs were located in the same depot as the oprs, before they moved up the hill to the new bldg?

mike
x np/bn/milw telgr/t.o. opr

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0751 seconds