Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP: When was it?

Date: 10/20/04 06:53
UP: When was it?
Author: MacBeau

Only once in my lifetime has the Mojave River looked like this under clear skies.

Date: 10/20/04 07:22
Re: UP: When was it?
Author: WichitaJct

Well, those SD40-2s have numbers on the long hood. I think the UP started doing that in the mid to late 70s so I would guess this is a 1979 photo, +/- a couple of years so 1977-1981 ?

Date: 10/20/04 07:31
Author: Lone Star

February/March, 1983.

John

Date: 10/20/04 14:37

Lone Star Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> February/March, 1983.
>
> John

March of '83 it is. Have never seen it this full since.

Date: 10/20/04 15:53
Author: Lone Star

Feb/March '83 was when the Tehachapi line suffered the most severe flooding it had endured in decades, so I presumed this might be the time period reflected in your shot further east. My wife and I had just moved to Tracy from Bakersfield when this happened and we thought the rain would never stop. It did, just about the time the wind started blowing. We thought the wind would never stop. It did, just about the time we moved back to Clovis. Phooey on Tracy...

John

Date: 10/21/04 10:26
Author: SurflinerHogger

Ah but the river did rise again in 1991 when it almost wiped out 20 or 30 homes in Spring Valley Lake (Victorville). I was a deputy sheriff at the time and took these shots out in Helendale. That's Indian Trails in the lower picture with the Santa Fe r-o-w off to the right at the bottom of that hill.

Date: 10/21/04 16:10

Wasn't it the 1991 flood that damaged the Cushenbury Berry line trestle?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.032 seconds