Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Nostalgia & History > Ice and Mist at Black River (weather contest)

Date: 10/29/04 22:13
Ice and Mist at Black River (weather contest)
Author: CimaScrambler

It is morning in early February, 1990, and the south bound Amtrak Starlight passes the old ex-Milwaukee interlocking at Black River Junction south of Seattle, Washington. It is cold enough that the puddles are nearly frozen through. Mount Ranier looms in the distance.

- Kit

Date: 10/29/04 22:19
Harbor Train at Cajon Summit, winter snow

Mach 1990 brings melting snow to Cajon Summit, as a Santa Fe harbor train passes through.

You may not quite be able to see it in this small image, but there is a rail fan with a bright red parka and a white Ford Explorer to the right of the lead engine. Anyone here think they might have been to Summit that day?

- Kit

Date: 10/29/04 22:23
Through Summit Curve into the snow

The harbor train, with a block of export copper concentrate up front, rounds the bend west of summit cut in a rare snowy day on Cajon Pass.

Be safe out there -

- Kit

Date: 10/30/04 14:30
Re: Ice and Mist at Black River (weather contest)
Author: cewherry

CimaScrambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is morning in early February, 1990, and the
> south bound Amtrak Starlight passes the old
> ex-Milwaukee interlocking at Black River Junction
> south of Seattle, Washington. It is cold enough
> that the puddles are nearly frozen through. Mount
> Ranier looms in the distance.
>
> - Kit
>
>This scene is undergoing substantial changes as ongoing track programs continue. The track on the left, UPRR main, now owned and dispatched by BNSF is called Main 3. Amtrak #11 is on Main 1, formerly Southward Main track. Main 2, former Northward main track, is hidden in the shadow of #11's equipment. The track in the right foreground, BN's Woodinville Sub. main track that continued a scant 1/3 mile or so before connecting with Main 2, is now removed. The switch leading to the left off of the UP main is still there and is the present day beginning of the Woodinville Sub. All access to this subdivision here is from Main 3. In another few months or so the present day mains 1&2 will become yard tracks with the installation of new mains roughly following the alighnment of the old Pacific Coast Coal Cos. line from Argo to Black River. Much daily changes happening. Stay tuned.
Charlie

Date: 10/30/04 17:40
Re: Ice and Mist at Black River (weather contest)

Thanks for the news on Black River. Back around 1989-1990, I spent a fair amount of time hainging out there watching BN and UP while on extended business trips to the area. I didn't recognize the place the last time I was there, which was in the mid -90s. There was a big garbage reload that had taken up one of the favorite hillsite spots I used to haunt. It isn't at all surprising that things continue to evolve there. I had a lot of fun trying to figure out what rails had belonged to whom, there being UP, MILW, NP, and Pacific Coast (and perhaps others as well) tennancy at various points in the past. Now with the Sounder, BNSF, UP and Amtrak trains, it must be hopping around there these days.

- Kit

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds