Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Nostalgia & History > SN at Rio Vista Junction

Date: 11/02/04 21:09
SN at Rio Vista Junction
Author: xtra1188w

After looking at recent posts by Stash on RVJ, I had to go find a few pictures of the Museum that I made in July 1972, the one and only time that I've been there. That was a good museum back then, and I imagine that it's better now, 32 plus years later.
Here is SN steeplecab #564, but I don't think that it was running that day, I think that it was just posed to look like it was in action.

Con

Date: 11/02/04 21:41
Re: SN at Rio Vista Junction
Author: GP25

I notice the Unit has a Pantograph and a Trolley Pole. That's real neat to see

Date: 11/02/04 22:23
Author: DNRY122

Not only that, but it used to have third-rail shoes. Its mate, 653, which is at OERM, has some noticeable pits in the trucks from arcs between the "hot" rail and the side of the truck. Most of the line from Sacramento to Chico was third rail, and the Woodland branch (now Yolo Shortline) still had a few extra long ties last time I looked.

Date: 11/02/04 22:41
Author: Rockford

GP25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I notice the Unit has a Pantograph and a Trolley
> Pole. That's real neat to see

Since the pantograph needed air to be raised and lowered, the trolley pole was used to supply power to the air compressor when first starting the locomotive. I am sure it had other uses as well. By the way it should be SN 654.

Date: 11/02/04 23:28
Author: stash

It is amazing how the museum has improved in those 32 years. The visitor's center, with library and bookstore, is quite a building containing some very interesting displays. I notice a new carbarn is under construction.

Date: 11/03/04 07:07
Author: Pullman

The coach behind the 654 is the Oakland Antioch & Eastern 1020.

Here's a link to a story on the restoration effort:

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/1020.html

It's likely that in the view shown that the 654 had been used to move the 1020 and the former WP boxcar from the shop so something else could occupy the space, possibly only for the day. The 1020 spent a fair amount of time in the shop over the years.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds