Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP memory from '74

Date: 11/07/04 14:05
SP memory from '74
Author: 3rdswitch

Twenty years ago, in July '74, SP's "class" C415, #2400, led a Los Nietos yard to Industry yard transfer on UP trackage rights through Whittier, CA.
JB

Date: 11/07/04 14:41
Re: SP memory from '74
Author: topper

Cool!

In late September 1971 I found myself assigned to the Anaheim Hauler for a couple of weeks. It worked out of City of Industry to Anaheim and back. It was a seven-day job (i.e., no day off), on duty at 5:05 AM, and we seldom worked less than 14 hours. But back in those ancient times, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

The 415s could often be found on the Anaheim Hauler and Buena Park Hauler jobs. SW1500s were also used, or a C-415 and a SW1500. Personally, I preferred the Alcos, a view that wasn't shared by the crews.

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Twenty years ago, in July '74,

Must be some of that famous California "New Math"!

Date: 11/07/04 14:48
Author: TonyJ

Topper,
Remember your story of riding in one of the C-415s on the Anaheim Hauler on a hot summer day when the radiator fans kicked on and steam entered the cab?

Tony

Date: 11/07/04 15:06

TonyJ Wrote:
> Topper,
> Remember your story of riding in one of the C-415s
> on the Anaheim Hauler on a hot summer day when the
> radiator fans kicked on and steam entered the cab?

Vividly!

Date: 11/07/04 15:33
Re: Tustin branch
Author: john1082

Did you ever work the Tustin branch?

Date: 11/08/04 07:49
SP Alco C-415's
Author: cozephyr

Glad to see someone caught these rare birds out and running, no less. Two questions - Did they have air conditioning?
Did they have a toilet?

Date: 11/10/04 10:37
Re: SP Alco C-415's
Author: cewherry

They had neither air conditioning or toilets. What they did have was a unique dual control cab arrangement. IIRC the automatic brake valves on each side were physically connected having a toothed rubber belt similar to an automotive timing belt. This belt ran transversly across the cab underneath a table like- platform. Movement of the brake valve handle on one side resulted in a corresponding movement of the opposite brake valve. Of course only one automatic brake valve was to be cut-in and the handle of the cut-out valve was supposed to be removed. If the handle on the cut-out side was not removed, it was possible to interfere with the operation of the cut-in side by various means, both intentional and otherwise. I remember being yelled at by the engineer to get my arm off of the handle as he was trying to set the air from his side of the cab!. The independent brake valves were not so connected.
They were bouncy riders and their tall cabs always seemed to alter your perspective so that switching was more 'thrilling' than on other units. I know that at least one of these C-415's had its cab arrangement altered with the installation of two distinct control stands similar to other conventioal dual control engines. There may have been others.

Charlie

Date: 11/10/04 18:05
Re: SP Alco C-415's

cewherry Wrote:

> I know
> that at least one of these C-415's had its cab
> arrangement altered with the installation of two
> distinct control stands similar to other
> conventioal dual control engines. There may have
> been others.

It was the 2401.

Apparently Alco absorbed the cost of replacing the duplex controller/electrical cabinet/card table with two separate control stands. Made life in the cab much easier.

My understanding of it was that Alco did one unit as a demonstration project, hoping SP would pay to have the other nine converted. Unfortunately, the railroad never did the others.

By the way, Charlie, for some reason each time I try sending you an e-mail, it hits some sort of spam blocker. Same thing happened when I replied to someone who'd sent me a question about the Anaheim Hauler. I have no idea why. Oh, well...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds