Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF California Timetable 1967

Date: 11/28/04 12:36
ATSF California Timetable 1967
Author: KingCoal

I was digging through some boxes out in the garage today. Still have not finished sorting after the move to Indiana from California 12-1-03. I found this timetable that I aquired while I was still in the 7th grade at Einstein Jr. High in San Diego in 1967. (now renamed Krok Middle School) (spelling?) ;)

Date: 11/28/04 18:16
Re: ATSF California Timetable 1967
Author: joemagruder

The San Joaquin service, even on the SP, was faster than today's service.

Date: 11/28/04 20:41
Ray Kroc
Author: coachyard

KingCoal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Einstein Jr. High in San Diego in 1967. (now
> renamed Krok Middle School) (spelling?) ;)

I'm sure you know he was man who built McDonald's, owned the Padres, and donated heavily in metro San Diego.

http://kroc.sdcs.k12.ca.us/information/about_kroc.htm

Date: 11/29/04 20:23
Author: Evan_Werkema

Why was SP's San Joaquin Daylight listed in Santa Fe's timetable? ICC requirement?

Date: 11/30/04 05:34
Author: bnsfbob

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why was SP's San Joaquin Daylight listed in Santa
> Fe's timetable? ICC requirement?

Intrastate services would have been the jurisdiction of the California PUC. However, I don't think the regulators forced Santa Fe to list SP's schedule. After Santa Fe's Golden Gate service came off in 1965, Santa Fe had surrendered what was left of the local business in the Valley to SP. Santa Fe probably thought that by listing SP's schedule for 51/52, including the connecting busses to LA, they might put a little more business on the San Diegans or the long hauls out of LA. Bob

Date: 11/30/04 17:15
Author: exmiop

Could you post a picture of the front and rear pages?
Would sure appreciate it!

Date: 12/01/04 05:09
Author: KingCoal

Actually, if you look at the upper left 2 pages, they are the front and back cover. You can see how they have turned slightly brown with age. I opened up the timetable, scanned both sides and then placed them together in one jpg file.

Date: 12/01/04 16:28
Author: MyfordBrowning

In the days of regulated passenger service, the railroads played lets make a deal with the PUC and ICC. If you let us drop part of this service, we will do something else to improve it. In the Valley there was the honoring of each others tickets, the SP issued joint Santa Fe - SP timetables, Santa Fe buses commencting with the SJ Daylights at Bakersfield and when that was discontinued scheduling San Diegan No.78 would connect with No. 52.
In 1965 the SP discontinued the Owl and the Santa Fe discontinued the three Golden Gates (one run was continued as a unnamed mail train to pair with an existing train Nos 7 & 8) at the same time agreed to pooling some service.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0818 seconds