Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > Before there was air conditioning.....

Date: 12/29/04 17:11
Before there was air conditioning.....
Author: CRmac80

....there was "flow through" ventilation via the nose door on covered wagons. As a photographer, it was always a bummer, and I often wouldn't take the shot if this occurred- but did in this case. Conrail Motor yard to Akron local has Penn Central F7A 1743,1732,a GP-9B,and another F as it passes South St TBS in Akron,Ohio on a hot July 1977 afternoon. These days I understand all too well why the crews did all they could to catch a cool breeze!

RAD

Date: 12/30/04 10:07
Re: Before there was air conditioning.....
Author: highgreengraphics

...and one heck of a hazardous situation in case of a grade crossing accident with a gas truck! Anybody for barbequed ribs? Today's widecabs should also not be permitted to run with that nose door open, either. There is an inner door, also, but it is not very strong. Besides, it looks like hell for photographers! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - JLH

Date: 12/30/04 11:11
Re: Before there was air conditioning.....
Author: Steamjocky

I can understand why the crew had the nose door open, assuming that they opened it. The F units, in my opinion, were the worst units to try and get air to flow through the cab on a hot day. You could have all the windows open but it seemed like the air would never flow into the cab.

steamjocky

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0353 seconds