Home Open Account Help 67 users online

Nostalgia & History > An easy UP whereizit? (early 70's)

Date: 12/29/04 21:38
An easy UP whereizit? (early 70's)
Author: the_expediter

and direction, pleeze...

Date: 12/29/04 21:53
Re: An easy UP whereizit? (early 70's)
Author: E-21

I've never been there - but I'd say Green River, WY. No idea on the direction.

Date: 12/29/04 22:09
Author: MacBeau

Westbound at Green River, WY.

Date: 12/29/04 22:25
Author: TonyJ

MacBeau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Westbound at Green River, WY.

Ditto! Off to the left of the picture and back a short distance is Ember's Family Restaurant. Great place to eat and watch trains. - Tony J.

Date: 12/29/04 22:46
Author: danf

Been through there once (well twice counting the way back). It was in 1983 and I was on the very last wesatbound SFZ just before they switched over to the DRGW route. There were big crowds at every station. A lot of upset people I might add.

Date: 12/29/04 23:00
Author: up421

Went through Green River in 2000 and again in 2002.

Back in 2000 the Ember's was still in business, food was good like you said. The Ember's Steak was memorable.

In 2002 stopped in again, the place had changed hands and the menu also changed. Was some kind of sports bar type place. It just was not the same anymore. The steak was gone off of the menu.

Bob

TonyJ Wrote:
>
> Ditto! Off to the left of the picture and back a
> short distance is Ember's Family Restaurant. Great
> place to eat and watch trains. - Tony J.

Date: 12/30/04 00:16
Author: NscaleMike

Great center spread picture of the same scene in the latest issue of The Railroad Press.

Date: 12/30/04 07:18
Author: up9116

A slight correction to some of the earlier posts. Yes, it is Green River, Wyoming, and the photographer is standing on the pedestrian overpass, a famous location for photos. The train is westbound, but the photogropher is shooting to the east north east.

UP9116

Date: 12/30/04 08:42
Re: Honeymoon in 70
Author: spnudge

Was married in 70 and took the Chief from LA to Chicago. Then the train from Chicago to Portland, OR. Rode the head end from Billings to Livingston and sleeping car was switched out at Spokane for Portland. Then took the Portland Rose to Green River and had to wait 6 hours for the City of LA, to return to Los Angeles. Could have rode home for free on my pass on SP from Portland but their passenger service was terrible.

At the time, Green River had their own UP hotel and the beanery was run by the UP Dining Car Dept. There was an on going card game in the supply room where the soda machinery was and it supplied the "Mix" to other liquids that were kept there. Was told that the UP built this for crews because the town used to throw some of the crews in jail on trumped up charges as a money machine for the town. They knew about the supply room but looked the other way as long as the crews were straight when they went to work.

By the way, that was wife No. 1. After 15 years of railroading, she advertised my job. Married now to great gal that understands being married to a rail.

Nudge

Date: 12/30/04 10:03
Author: Amtkrd4man

Same place different day

Date: 12/30/04 13:34
Author: Steamjocky

spnudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> By the way, that was wife No. 1. After 15 years of
> railroading, she advertised my job. Married now to
> great gal that understands being married to a
> rail.
>
> Nudge

But did the job she advertised go "no bid"?

steamjocky

Date: 12/30/04 15:22

It went no bid but I still got assigned to an "Outside" job. It was bid on later, but that is another story in itself.

Nudge

Date: 12/30/04 15:26
Menu

I have a menu from the resturant somewhere with prices and all and it has the UP Dining Car Dept on the bottom. If I find it I will try to put it up.

Nudge

Date: 12/31/04 18:10
Re: Menu
Author: highgreengraphics

First photo is from before I dug in the 3 side-by-side "hold" signals next to each main right where the front of the engine is, in 1978. They are still there now. I was on a UP signal gang based out of Rock Springs, WY, only 15 miles away east. First it was jackhammering out the square hole in the concrete platform, then hand-dig trenches between the ties and the dirt below for the concrete signal foundations. At six feet down in the hole closest to the depot, I dug out a green bottle with kind of a hanging rawhide cork inside that says "Hoffman Brothers, Cheyenne, W.T. - - Wyoming Territory! I still have it. We also hand-dug in the whole row of "hold" signals at East Green River, six or seven all side by side. Our signal gang also pulled the wire and dropped two crossarms off every pole between East Rock Springs and West Green River. While walking from pole to pole, it was there I found an undamaged green threadless insulator on the ground partially buried that says "Mulford and Biddle" on one side, and "U.P.R.R." on the other side - from the original, first telegraph line across Wyoming! I was in much better shape then... JLH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds