Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF Train # 4 in Berkeley, CA..

Date: 01/01/05 14:16
ATSF Train # 4 in Berkeley, CA..
Author: KeyRouteKen

ATSF Train # 4 at Berkeley Station on 3/12/49..

Photo courtesy of John Illman..

HAPPY NEW YEAR to my friends at Trainorders.com ---

"Key Route Ken"...

Date: 01/01/05 15:25
Re: ATSF Train # 4 in Berkeley, CA..
Author: stash

Milepost 8 to be exact. Station building still there; a school now.

Date: 01/01/05 18:00
Re: ATSF Train # 4 in Berkeley, CA..
Author: alex14ramos

Hey nice photo. Do happen to have any other Berkeley photos to share. I actually live in Berkeley and would love to see more photos similar to the one you showed. Or maybe you can email me a couple.

Thanks a bunch,
Alex

Date: 01/01/05 20:46
Re: multiple threads

Maybe I'll just stop posting any photos.. Period!!
Is that what YOU want??

Actually, I don't have a clue as to attempt to do what you suggest-- BUT, I would be open to the Webmaster (Mr.Todd Clark) if he might put out some instructions to do such a thing..

I just thought that a different photo in a different locale warrants its own title.. NO ???

Whatever.. The only reason I'm doing this at all, Mr. Coachyard, is to show some of the history in the Bay Area and I'm getting worn out looking at GP-40's, etc all the time. Not to be COCKEY with YOU, Sir-- just haven't heard ANY complaints until now!! Thank You.
I await Mr. Clark's suggestions..

KRK

Date: 01/01/05 22:05

Mr.Coachyard-- Please accept my sincere apologies--

After reading Todd Clark's instructions on multiple photos/threads dated 12/26/2004, I will, in the future,
USE THE REPLY BUTTON FOR EACH ADDITIONAL PHOTO, if required, so as the overall Forum doesn't advance too quickly to the next page!! OK?????
Sorry 'bout that!!

"Key Route Ken"..
p.s.- I have only just returned to T.O. after a very long absence.

KRK

Date: 01/02/05 07:47
Author: SW1200

Ken,

Thanks for sharing the Berkeley photo. I also live in Berkeley and enjoy seeing the shots of how it used to be. Keep 'em coming.

As for the multile threads, I agree with you that this is a different photo, taking th thread in a different direction, and therefore warrants a new thread. Much easier to look at just the stuff that interests me, and bypass the stuff that doesn't. I think threads with 22 different replies are extremely cumbersome to wade through.

Just my $.02 worth.

SW1200

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mr.Coachyard-- Please accept my sincere
> apologies--
>
> After reading Todd Clark's instructions on
> multiple photos/threads dated 12/26/2004, I will,
> in the future,
> USE THE REPLY BUTTON FOR EACH ADDITIONAL PHOTO, if
> required, so as the overall Forum doesn't advance
> too quickly to the next page!! OK?????
> Sorry 'bout that!!
>
> "Key Route Ken"..
> p.s.- I have only just returned to T.O. after a
> very long absence.
>
> KRK

Date: 01/02/05 09:15
Author: TonyJ

Keep 'em coming Ken. I don't care how they're posted. I look at it all as a kind of railfan treasure hunt. As for posting my photos I tried to keep them in related bunches (Bayshore, Oakland, S.F., etc.) I think people will understand, otherwise the list will scroll faster than an old window shade. - Tony J.

Date: 01/02/05 19:29
Author: DNRY122

I presume ATSF had trackage rights to Oakland on the SP. My experience with the Berkeley station dates back to 1967, when I was staying on Bancroft Way near 9th while visiting the Bay Area. F units were still in passenger service, but the SDP45's were the hot new units. One day I took the City of SF into the City: train to Oakland, then a (longer) bus ride over the bridge.

Date: 01/02/05 20:24
Author: stash

DNRY122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I presume ATSF had trackage rights to Oakland on
> the SP. My experience with the Berkeley station
> dates back to 1967, when I was staying on Bancroft
> Way near 9th while visiting the Bay Area. F units
> were still in passenger service, but the SDP45's
> were the hot new units. One day I took the City
> of SF into the City: train to Oakland, then a
> (longer) bus ride over the bridge.

Santa Fe passenger trains once ran on the SP between Santa Fe's Oakland connection near Wood St. and the Oakland Pier. But that was a long time ago. In later years, buses took Santa Fe passengers from Oakland (40th & San Pablo) to SF. Then in the mid-1950s bus service was provided for passengers from trainside in Richmond to Berkeley, Oakland (Telegraph Ave.) and San Francisco (4th & Market).

Freight trains began operation over SP between Stege and Oakland in 1979 after the Santa Fe Oakland District track was discontinued.

Date: 01/04/05 15:32
KRK
Author: coachyard

No apology needed. My only intent was to hopefully make a helpful suggestion. Thanks for sharing great shots.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds