Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Nostalgia & History > Final spin on the Bayshore turntable

Date: 01/09/05 21:24
Final spin on the Bayshore turntable
Author: TonyJ

The date is August 14, 1974. SP has made the decision to send the first two F-M H-24-66's "Train Master" to the boneyard. SP3029 was pulled from a garden track and turned to face forward for the trip down the S.F. peninsula. It will join SP3024 as the first two H-24-66s to face the cutting torch. - Tony J.

Date: 01/09/05 21:27
Re: Final spin on the Bayshore turntable

Here is SP3024 and SP3029 waiting to be doubled-over to the outbound train for the trip across the Dumbarton Bridge and run up the Bay. Date is Aug. 14, 1974. - Tony J.

Date: 01/09/05 21:30

SP3031 in happier times - July 26, 194 - only seven months before becoming the last SP H-24-66 to leave the roster. - Tony J.

Date: 01/09/05 21:32
Author: danf

Looks like they pulled the horns off already.

Date: 01/09/05 21:43
Author: sploopconductor

danf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like they pulled the horns off already.

Tony ???????????????????

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 01/09/05 21:44

sploopconductor Wrote:
> danf Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looks like they pulled the horns off
> already.
>
>
> Tony ???????????????????
>
> Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!
>
> Larry

I wish! - Tony

Date: 01/09/05 21:53
missing horns
Author: danf

Just heard from our local 5 chime authority that they went straight to the 3200's...

Date: 01/10/05 06:00
Author: Phil

Thanks Tony for sharing these photos and memories. Its a travesty that none of the SP FM Trainmasters were saved. They were a truly unique locomotive on the SP.

Phil

Date: 01/10/05 07:20
Author: spnudge

They took all the "Commuter Tooters" off them and also the number board blanks for the "New" power.

Nudge

Date: 01/10/05 07:41
Author: Nitehostler

Thanks Tony...for continuing to share with us all of these great old memories. Boy, the TM's were sure the hotrods of their day!
Tom

Date: 01/10/05 09:11
Author: Lone Star

Nice photos, Tony. I thought #3027 was the first to be retired, as if it really matters. When did the 3028 head for West Colton as a brake sled? After that experiment was deemed a failure, where was she finally scrapped? Most of the TM's were scrapped at Associated Metals in Benicia. If I recall, there were two hulks that sat in Sacramento after the brake sled conversion program was terminated. I believe that #3027 was the basis for the only "complete" conversion, while the 3028 was used more or less intact, right down to the 5 chimes!

John

Date: 01/10/05 16:53

Lone Star Wrote:
> Nice photos, Tony. I thought #3027 was the first
> to be retired, as if it really matters. When did
> the 3028 head for West Colton as a brake sled?
> After that experiment was deemed a failure, where
> was she finally scrapped? Most of the TM's were
> scrapped at Associated Metals in Benicia. If I
> recall, there were two hulks that sat in
> Sacramento after the brake sled conversion program
> was terminated. I believe that #3027 was the basis
> for the only "complete" conversion, while the 3028
> was used more or less intact, right down to the 5
> chimes!
>
> John

Yes, the 3027 was the first to be retired. The 3024 and 3029 were the first to be sent to the scrapper. I have a shot or two I took of SP3027 at Sacramento as it was being converted to the one and only brake shed. Guess I'll have to dig those photos out as well.

You're correct that Associated Metals in Benicia did the scrapping. I remember a Robert Hogan shot in the old Pacific News of one being cut up. Without checking my files I recall the 3028, 3033 and 3035 sitting at Sacramento for a long time, wiating for a conversion that never came. - Tony J.

Date: 01/11/05 07:50
Re: FMs banned south of Wat.Jct.
Author: spnudge

The FM Trainmasters were not allowed east of Wat Jct. On there way north from the desert, way back when, the tried them on the coast. By the time they finished putting out the fires, they were restricted to the bay area. With Bayshore as a service area for them, most of the FM switchers were sent to the Bay Area too. Thats what we had for switchers in Wat Jct & SLO.

Weird set up for the throttle on the switchers. One handle for the throttle and reverser, with a spot in neutral with a thumb screw. You would screw in the set screw and then a big hinged flap would cover it and you would lock it with a switch lock to secure the engine.

Nudge

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1446 seconds