Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Nostalgia & History > Caltrans Bay Bridge 1957 Reconstruction Pictures

Date: 01/13/05 17:28
Caltrans Bay Bridge 1957 Reconstruction Pictures
Author: rlehmer

Hello all,

Came across a link to the Caltrans District 4 web site with file photos from the Bay Bridge back in 1957, when they were planning the removal of the Key System tracks from the lower level and the reconfiguration of the traffic flow from bidirectional on both levels to unidirectional on each level. Interesting stuff, especially with the old Key System cars stashed in the Transbay Terminal.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/photography/images/psf4000/index.html

Ron

http://rlehmer.50megs.com/photos/

Date: 01/13/05 18:35
Re: Caltrans Bay Bridge 1957 Reconstruction Pictures
Author: espeeboy

cool stuff, always wondered how all of that rail looked tucked to the side of the small one lane each way paved road on the lower deck. I especially wondered how the rails worked at all of the expansion joints - VERY COOL!

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/photography/images/psf4000/photos/photo_21.html

Looks like three distinct sections of short pieces of rail for each main rail slide along each other with diagonal joint to allow the bridge to expand and contract based on temperature, weight and all of those other good things those bridge engineers love to calculate.

Stash, KRN and a few other oldie traction locals are gonna love these pictures...

Date: 01/13/05 18:40
Author: espeeboy

hey, and remnants of this 5th Ave exit small traffic circle are still here today but of course it is semi-fenced off and all covered with trash and crap. CHP uses it all of the time to turn around and head back on the bridge to of course give out more tickets (Bay Bridge'a maximum speed is only 50 mph but we all do 60+).

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/photography/images/psf4000/photos/photo_7.html

Date: 01/13/05 23:56
Author: stash

espeeboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stash, KRN and a few other oldie traction locals
> are gonna love these pictures...

Yes! Those photos jog the memory a bit. I vaguely recall those expansion joints, since I always stood at the front window across the The Man in The Cab when on the train. But at a young age I didn't know what they were for. Too bad I learned so much about the Key trains after they were gone.

After the tracks were gone from the bridge, I began venturing out on my own to The City by bus. I do remember the Hump. It was good for news copy daily as the thing was slowly progressed from one end to the other of the tunnel on the upper deck as the roadway was lowered. Traffic jams big time due to the Hump! Yet the traffic then was nothing like it is today.

Date: 01/14/05 13:47
Author: rob_l

Until 1957 we had 9 highway lanes and 2 rail tracks across the Bay Bridge. After the Key System went under, from 1958 - 1962 we had 9 highway lanes while reconstruction was underway. Then starting in 1963 we got 10 highway lanes.

What shocks me is how much the capacity of the Bay Bridge went down. We traded two railroad tracks for one lousy road lane.

How come we don't have 6 lanes on the upper deck any more? Trucks are too wide? Tunnel clearance too tight? Could we have 6 auto lanes on each deck of the suspension bridge? (If so, we should kick the trucks off the bridge and make them take ferries or drive around).

And if this is true, then why the hell is the new bridge on the Oakland side being built with only 5 lanes in each direction?

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 01/14/05 16:19
Author: stash

rob_l Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How come we don't have 6 lanes on the upper deck
> any more? Trucks are too wide? Tunnel clearance
> too tight? Could we have 6 auto lanes on each deck
> of the suspension bridge? (If so, we should kick
> the trucks off the bridge and make them take
> ferries or drive around).
>
> And if this is true, then why the hell is the new
> bridge on the Oakland side being built with only 5
> lanes in each direction?

6 lanes across meant narrow lanes. The bridge was dangerous with no median barrier. The 5 lane bridge is much safer, especially these days, with larger vehicles.

You cannot ban trucks from the bridge.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds