Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Nostalgia & History > playground equipment

Date: 02/02/05 18:09
playground equipment
Author: xtra1188w

After reading comments from TonyJ about the sad and disrespectful fate of the SP 0-6-0 #1298 in the park in Santa Cruz CA, it reminded me of the time that I went to photograph an SP ten wheeler that had been donated for display to the City of Mesa AZ. She was on display alright, what a sad way to for Mesa to put such a vital part of their heritage on display. On the other hand though, she was still serving a purpose other than just rusting away.
From 6/25/89, here is SP 4-6-0 #2355, someone will have to provide the class numbers, I know Rio Grande details, but not SP.

Con

Date: 02/02/05 18:11
Re: playground equipment

view #2

Date: 02/02/05 18:12

Here is a third and the last view for now.

Con

Date: 02/02/05 18:46
Original headlight
Author: n6nvr

was given to my Dad by the Chief Special Agent for Los Angeles in the belief that the engine was to be scrapped. The headlight on the loco was one he chased down.

Date: 02/02/05 18:47
Not a new use

Taylor Yard

Date: 02/02/05 18:48
family shot

Look people on it.

Date: 02/02/05 18:50
Re: family shot

A certain renowned Santa Fe photographer and family. He took a few SP shots but is mostly known for ATSF work.

Date: 02/03/05 00:35

He looks to be a sane and intelligent man, and a nice guy. Why then, mostly Santa Fe and not SP, or even Rio Grande? <G>

As I was typing the captions for some of this thread's contents, it did occur to me that maybe I was thinking of the handrails and people climbing all over 2355 in the wrong way. What to me is a dignified type of and an attractive machine, that rather than this being demeaning to the spirit of the locomotive ( I know that it is really a soulless machine, but.....) and to those men who had been her crew over the preceding years and who used her and respected her for the purpose for which she had been designed, rather something for people to play on and not respect, that maybe it didn't indicate disrespect for this and other steam locos when people climb up on them and indeed all over them, now that they're cold and lifeless. How many other industrial machine relics still fascinate people like a steam locomotive does, even cold and lifeless ones. This way 2355 is still keeping a measure of life and making new friends, like she evidently already has with your family. Thanks for posting your pictures and some of your memories of 2355. I wish that I had a cold and lifeless hulk of one of my favorite steam locos to visit and clamber on and over.

Con

Date: 02/03/05 11:45

Well his living in the Los Angeles area and having significant responsibilities to the family business meant that the ATSF was the big player. I point you to the latest issue (I think) of the Santa Fe Historical Society magazine for a picture of him working as a teenager for the Santa Fe during WW2 to give a hint why the Santa Fe. My Godfather by the way.

My family tends to have the foaming congenital defect tending to the SP. My Grandfather worked for the SP beginning over a hundred years ago and we still have some of his employees passes from that period. His brother was Secretary to the President of the V&T, which my Dad found out in about 1946 or 47. "Gee, Jack, If I had known you like d trains I could have saved you a bunch of stuff from the V&T." sniff waah

I too think that letting kids play on the engines is a good thing. This may be the only contact they have with a steam engine other than Thomas the Tank Engine. Better than have it be a sterile untouchable mass of metal behind a fence. I wonder what the evolution of the guard rails was. I remember the 0-6-0 being delivered to the Park in Monterey, we just happened to be there. No fences or rails, then over the years some additional railings and steps. Looks like they added fencing to prevent the really adventurous from finding it too easy to fall off.

Date: 01/02/07 17:27
Author: 2720

The 2355 is a SP T-31 class 4-6-0. The 2353 is the class engine, and was restored to operating condition in the late 90s by the Pacific Southwest Railroad Museum, known then as the San Diego Railroad museum. It was operated on the old San Diego & Arizona Railway, to Miller Creek, and into Tecate, Mexico.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/10 18:31 by 2720.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0517 seconds