Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Nostalgia & History > "Magic Town"

Date: 02/04/05 00:33
"Magic Town"
Author: sphogger

Got a great tip from the Chico Chamber of Commerce not too long ago. There is a Jimmy Stewart film called "Magic Town"made in 1947 that shows an SP 3057 wheeling a handful of passengers cars out in the Sac Valley somewhere. Next scene shows the 3057 pulling into the Chico Station with the hoghead leaning out the window in his full glory. Interestingly in this depot shot it also shows a freight car moving south on a track to the west of the current mainline. I'm guessing the original Chico Siding was north of the current one running by the depot. The shots are brief but the look into the past is well worth it.

I wonder how copyrights work on these old films. I assume Turner or Sony or someone else owns the rights to these in perpetuity? Too bad we can't strip the scenes out and share 'em!

sphogger

Date: 02/04/05 08:51
Re: "Magic Town"
Author: wabash2800

Black & White?

Date: 02/04/05 09:08
Author: wesroberts

The Chico siding used to extend to the depot, and the north switch was just north of the depot. There was a water spout between the two tracks opposite the depot. Northbound trains would stop on the siding south of town, and the engine would cut off and come up to the depot for water, then reverse back to the train. This avoided blocking the several streets just south of the depot.

I got my social security card when in the 6th grade in Chico, in hopes of becoming an extra in that film. I was not selected, however.

Date: 02/04/05 09:37
Author: galenadiv

A few years later, Stewart was filmed getting off a C&NW train in Michigan's Upper Peninsula for "Anatomy of a Murder."

Date: 02/04/05 13:31
Author: sphogger

Yes it's B&W. I wish it were color, 3057 is a beautiful engine. I picked up a used copy for 3 or 4 bucks from Amazon.

sphogger

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds