Home Open Account Help 213 users online

Nostalgia & History > BNSF-San Diego Spur Information

Date: 02/05/05 14:09
BNSF-San Diego Spur Information
Author: skeeter4810

I can't remember the street name. But across from the Santa Fe-Amtrak Depot in Downtown San Diego on the BNSF Mainline there was a spur that crossed right next to a Home Depot crossed the street protected by flashing lights with no guards, and then split up into three tracks and crossed the next street into the military buildings, and deadended alongside I am guessing a navy ship.

It looks like the BNSF may have serviced this at one time, and my last trip to this area the tracks were in the process of being either removed and or paved over, and the old crossing with flashing lights was being removed.

Anyone have any info on this spur, and maybe pics of it with rail activity?.

Thanks.

Date: 02/05/05 20:43
Re: BNSF-San Diego Spur Information
Author: RonSD70

I believe the spur went into the Naval Station. And I think it's an Office Depot parking lot the spur went through.

Date: 02/05/05 20:51
Author: n6nvr

Broadway Pier and the former Naval Supply Center. The NSC would have received a variety of materials by rail.

Date: 02/06/05 07:00
Author: puckeringswine

I believe the spur has been cut before it enters Navy Pier. The switch is still on the main track, but the last thing I remember seeing in there was the Union Pacific Biz train for the Republican Convention in 96. That may even predate Office Depot, becase they put in temporary tracks in that area to house all the cars. I guess I should have taken photos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0253 seconds