Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Nostalgia & History > Texas Ramblings - Pecos River Bridge

Date: 02/22/05 10:19
Texas Ramblings - Pecos River Bridge
Author: cozephyr

Amtrak's westbound Sunset Limited, train 1, had P32-8BWH 510 passing the abandoned Southern Pacific water tank at Pecos River Bridge, TX. I tried to nail the Sunset Limited on this huge bridge but the pilot misjudged the timing. September 20, 1992.

Date: 02/22/05 11:02
Re: Texas Ramblings - Pecos River Bridge
Author: WrongWayMurphy

No doubt why Judge Roy Bean settled down in this place.

You have to know the Trans-Pecos to love it.

Date: 02/22/05 11:09
Author: xtra1188w

Cozephyr, have you ever driven across that bridge, it's on US90 I think, that crosses the upper part of Lake Armistead just a little ways out of Del Rio? I can't think of what river that was. Anyway, when the water is low enough, you can look over the sides of that bridge, on its south side I believe, and see the abandoned tunnel portal that the SP had at one time. It's kind of interesting to see.

Con

Date: 02/22/05 12:27
Author: BobP

By the time the river? gets to I20 near Pecos there ain't nothing left. Been all sucked out upstream.

Date: 02/22/05 13:27

xtra1188w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I've driven the US 90 bridge you mentioned several times. No, I missed checking out the SP tunnel portal. I lived in that area for a couple years.

> Cozephyr, have you ever driven across that bridge,
> it's on US90 I think, just a little ways out of Del
> Rio? I can't think of what river that was.
> Anyway, when the water is low enough, you can look
> over the sides of that bridge, on its south side I
> believe, and see the abandoned tunnel portal that
> the SP had.

Date: 02/25/05 07:24
Pecos River Bridge - Biggest Bridge in Texas!

Amtrak's train 1, westbound Sunset Limited, crossed the Southern Pacific's huge Pecos River Bridge on July 5, 1992 behind P32-8BWH 512. Train was running 2 hours 30 minutes late.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds