Nostalgia & History > Del Monte

Date: 02/25/05 21:11
Del Monte
Author: mococomike

Here is a shot of the Del Monte Departing SF in 1971. Bob Wershila photo

Date: 02/25/05 23:46
Re: Del Monte
Author: GenePoon

This photo is reversed. The train is actually ARRIVING at San Francisco.

Date: 02/26/05 06:53
Author: Nitehostler

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This photo is reversed. The train is actually
> ARRIVING at San Francisco.

Then it would be 141, right? Can't see number in the indicator box. Thanks to both of you, this was a nice little train that I managed to get a few times in the Spring of '71 before they all disappeared.

Date: 02/26/05 08:50
Author: spnudge

Had to have been a Sat.or Sun. During the week we had 2 units and a slug of subs behind the silver sides. When we got to SJ, a hostler would take the lead unit to the house and the switchman would cut off the subs. You would set up the controls to the right hand side and go long nose first to Mont. It's too bad they took the set of double controls off when the turned them into 3100s. Going long nose first, you had to have the number lights on to get the speedo to work on the firemans side.

Nudge

Date: 02/26/05 10:17
Author: Hiawatha101

Here is your Del Monte photo run through Photoshop. I flipped, lightened, & sharpened the photo.

Date: 02/27/05 17:13
Author: GenePoon

Nitehostler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GenePoon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This photo is reversed. The train is
> actually
> > ARRIVING at San Francisco.
>
> Then it would be 141, right? Can't see number in
> the indicator box. Thanks to both of you, this
> was a nice little train that I managed to get a
> few times in the Spring of '71 before they all
> disappeared.

I can't see the train number either, despite trying to kick up the gamma on the photo using software. Some firemen would go into the nose on the Geeps before arrival at Third and Townsend, and remove the numbers before arrival, but if that were the case here, we'd see white blanks where the numbers had been removed.

-GP

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds