Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Nostalgia & History > Muni and the Western Pacific

Date: 02/28/05 00:27
Muni and the Western Pacific
Author: stash

The Feather River Route had their headquarters a half block from the East Bay Terminal on Mission St. in San Francisco. Here's a J-car on the ramp where all five streetcar routes terminated downtown for many years.

It is 1962 the Muni has a restored Car No. 1 out and running along Market Street in celebration of their 50th Anniversary. (Maybe I can find a photo.) The cable cars were decorated and even a Mack bus was painted gold and historic photos filled the car card racks.

While the bulk of the PCC fleet came from the streets of St. Louis (1100 series), 1016-1040 were purchased new by the City and County of San Francisco, the final PCC cars manufactured. There were 2-man cars originally with a conductor's station by the rear door. Then soon became a 1-man cars but the conductor's seat remained.

These were my personal favorite PCCs in San Francisco. Smooth, unlike the somewhat jerky 1100s. I'd let another car pass by and wait for a new-10 if close behind.

Front poles were a necessity on Muni as the single-end cars made backup moves at various wyes.

Date: 02/28/05 06:56
Re: Muni and the Western Pacific
Author: Nitehostler

I'm continually amazed by the large amount of great old images that find their way to this site...love the WP sign in the background with the feather! Thanks for posting & please find time for more.
Tom

Date: 02/28/05 07:28
Author: TonyJ

Thanks Stash for sharing that photo. I forgot about the WP office so close by the Trans-Bay Terminal. I also agree with you that the newer Muni 1000s were better. Another treat was riding backwards in the motorman's seat on one of the double-enders.

Tony

Date: 02/28/05 09:47
Author: Edwardjb

Passing the mint.

Date: 02/28/05 11:55
Author: rattenne

Man, I wish I'd a had access to that photo when I was doing the Feather River books...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds