Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP Vans at Lakepoint, UT. (with 6905) 5-84

Date: 03/18/05 11:25
UP Vans at Lakepoint, UT. (with 6905) 5-84
Author: the_expediter

On a slide dated 5-84, a w/b Van (or Supervan) passes along the south edge of the Great Salt Lake. Note how high the water level was that year...That's the WP(UP?) main to Oakland closest to the lake...

Date: 03/18/05 11:28
Re: UP Vans at Lakepoint, UT. (with 6905) 5-84
Author: the_expediter

Here's 6905 trailing on a going-away shot...

Date: 03/18/05 11:51
Author: xtra1188w

I've enjoyed looking at your latest posts Steve. In that last image, that single drive axle cabover Freightliner pulling that long float with the tarped load is as interesting as Uncle Peter's diesels are.
I wish that I could scan a slide to the same levels of competency that yor are scanning them. What dpi do you scan a slide at? I've just bought a new scanner that has a good rep, maybe when I get it up and going, and when I learn a little more about it, I can do better than what I've been doing. I've yet to scan a slide that has been good enough to post. Most of my slides are ok, the problems all lie in with my lack of scanning expertise. I'm fixing to go out of town for this upcoming weekend, so it might be next week before I can read any response, or respond to any response myself, but thanks in advance for any respomse here!

Con

Date: 03/18/05 12:37
Author: cdub

At that point in time, it's interesting to see a GP40X out west on a Van train. The group of 6 40X's were commonly used on Van trains from when they were first delivered in 78' to about 80'/81'. But after most of the E's were retired, they were the preferred power on passenger moves throughout the system, used as pilots on the Amtrak SFZ across Wyoming, or used in freight service between North Platte and Council Bluffs. This operating pattern for the GP40X's pretty much stayed the same (with the exception of SFZ pilots ending much sooner) until the late 80's, when they were blended in with the ex-MP fleet of GP50's. After that point, they were mostly found on former MP lines in Texas and on the Mexico-Chicago corridor.

Date: 03/18/05 20:37
Author: davew833

Thanks for another great Utah memory!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0692 seconds