Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Nostalgia & History > SD&AE El Cajon local thru Grossmont, CA. (11-70)

Date: 03/24/05 09:55
SD&AE El Cajon local thru Grossmont, CA. (11-70)
Author: the_expediter

The "City of El Cajon" (as I liked to call it) has completed its work in El Cajon and is now heading west back towards La Mesa and San Diego. This scene has changed so much: this is now double-tracked and overhead-lined for the San Diego trolley, the quaint pedestrian bridge for the students of Grossmont High School got torn out many years ago, both for the trolly and a freeway widening project, (Interstate 8 is just over the cut on the right) and of course the SP SW's are long gone off this line. If you look closely at the train you can see long white propane cars. They had a storage facility on Marshall Drive in El Cajon right off the I-8 for years, but the people in the neighborhood were worried about their safety, so they finally took it out. (late 1970's?) This is the little local that I was able to ride so often, as a boy and then as a teenager. Those are good memories... Steve in El Cajon

Date: 03/24/05 10:47
Re: SD&AE El Cajon local thru Grossmont, CA. (11-70)
Author: the_expediter

sorry the first one was so dark...

Date: 03/24/05 16:27
Author: dsrtrail

Thanks for this history. You seem to have much of the past.

Date: 03/25/05 22:14
Author: DNRY122

What was then rare mileage is now 15-minute headway trolleys. Who would have dreamed this back in 1970?

Date: 03/25/05 23:34
Author: casco17

Thanks; I have explored this line in the last couple years but never knew what it looked like before the light rail trains arrived.

Date: 04/24/05 21:10
Author: spdesertdog

I remember on more than one occasion btt (before the trolley}I would walk the line just for the heck of it, low joints everywhere, weeds all over and two fine silver rails showing their story. It will never be seen again.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds