Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Nostalgia & History > Altamont Pass 1957

Date: 03/29/05 21:06
Altamont Pass 1957
Author: rattenne

Someone asked for an earlier photo of Altamont Summit than the 1970 one posted by Drew in an earlier thread.

While this photo doesn't show the turntable it does show the SP Summit depot. This is SP 4443 on a fan trip on 3/24/57. The SP depot that still "lives" in Livermore is built to the same plan as the Summit depot (or so I've been told).

In Feather River Route Volume I there are additional oldie-moldie Altamont shots but featureing (of course) the WP.

As Drew pointed out in his thread, Altamont Pass Road used to fly over the SP on a great overpass and was a favorite spot to shoot the SP. Amazingly, the corrugated shed in the background is still standing in 2005.

Date: 03/29/05 21:25
Altamont Pass trip - 1957
Author: Westbound

Great photo. Please post more on that trip. I was just a teenager at the time. How I wish I could have seen - or ridden - it.

Date: 03/29/05 22:03
Re: Altamont Pass trip - 1957
Author: drew1946

Railfans sure don't dress like that anymore

Date: 03/29/05 22:26

Railfans sure DON'T dress like that anymore. I'll have to dig out this one photo in my collection of a fan standing on the vestibule steps of a Harriman coach while it was in motion during a Sierra Railroad/Pickering Lumber fan trip. Dressed in fedora, suit and tie!

Date: 03/29/05 22:40
Re: Altamont Pass 1957
Author: Nitehostler

Great photo there KPR! 4443 was a noteworthy engine...she survived a head on collision in Southern Calif. with a 5000 class & was also used a bit in the film "Pal Joey" with Frank Sinatra. Shame she was scrapped after having lasted so late.

Date: 03/29/05 23:08
Author: danf

Great photo. It looks a little like they were starting to dismantle the depot. Was that the year it was torn down? Obviously the blades are gone from the TO signal.

Date: 03/30/05 20:23
Author: wwdrkid

I was along on that trip. A runby was staged there. I was standing beyond the depot. I guess the engineer was new at the game as he only backed down to where the loco was right in front of me. And then he started up very cautiously, and didn't pick up much speed. But - it was great to see the old steamer run, nevertheless. Once he got out on the West Line to Fresno he reallly went for it.

Date: 03/30/05 20:28
Author: JohnSweetser

The excursion of March 24, 1957 ran from Oakland to Fresno.

The depots at Altamont (Altamont is the proper railroad name of the location, of course, not "Summit") and Livermore were built to different designs. Livermore is a SP Standard No. 18 depot while Altamont was a Standard No. 22 depot.

In 1955, the freight room portion of the Altamont depot was removed, so that may be why the depot looks like it is in the process of being dismantled in the photo.

According to John Signor in his Western Division book, the Altamont depot was destroyed in 1958 by a too-large charge of dynamite that was meant to loosen nails so that the building could be moved. I not too sure I believe this scenario, though.

Date: 03/30/05 23:02

John, thanks for the info and correction on the depot designs.

Date: 03/31/05 17:03
Author: KeyRouteKen

Ok Guys-- Good ol' "KRK" has some input--and I apologize up front if I offend anyone with these comments.. So, here goes--

First, to "Mr. Westbound"-- You state you wish you could have "ridden it" or at least "seen it"... You STILL CAN!! More in a moment!

Second, to Nitehostler and John Swee-- and the rest of you guys...
KRK was on hand at Oakland Pier when PAL JOEY, with Frank Sinatra, was filmed. That's when they blew a fuel hose and blackened a beautiful white Ferryboat.. Pretty bad, too..

Third, Yes, SP 4-8-4 # 4443 was a very popular STEAMER that was always called upon, besides the 4460, to run these special "end-of-Steam" trips.. The SP was very cordial in 1956//1957 in allowing a multitude of EXCURSIONS strictly powered by STEAM and venturing off onto mainlines, branch lines, spurs, former electric suburban trackage and you name it.. You would never get a railroad to cooperate with FANS like the SP did in the waning days of STEAM.. I will always give them praise and credit for THAT !!

Now then, back to the comments from "Mr. Westbound"---
He'd like to have at least been able to "see it" ...

In my extensive motion picture FILM library, (I hate to say this, but..),
I think I have that 1957 trip you guys are talking about featuring the 4443, on FILM!! Now then, "Tony Johnson" of SPFlimsie fame will start having a stroke because I said that!! (grin)

The FILM is from the Collection of Marvin Maynard-- well known Bay Area railfan and historian along with Sappers, Demoro, Whittaker, Wurm, Rose, and the like! Marvin was on that trip..

This brings up another interesting point... I have never been to WINTERRAIL.. Because of my very busy schedule, I volunteered to be a "Presenter" in 2008... Vic Neves invited me.. But now I'm getting bad vibes from Vic, because all of the FILM in these collections is in
8mm format and not 16mm format..
I have thousands of feet of footage that would drive you guys crazy--I seriously mean that.. The 4443 Trip is but one small example.
Too much FILM for a WINTERRAIL event however. Don't know what your priority interests would be.. A bit of this, a bit of that, but maybe too sketchy..
The many films I have are from the photography of Marvin Maynard, George Capdeville (Pullman employee), Gordon Robertson (KEY signal supervisor), John Illman, Victor Shattock, James V. Shattock and MYSELF!

Maybe I should forfet WINTERRAIL altogether and we could find a hall to rent with one hell of a big Pizza and Chicken party and show a "bunch of films"...

When you collect stuff like I have--you wind up with "too much stuff"..

Anyway--I'm sorry I rattled on-- I'll look for the film on the 4443 and advise. Everyone have a great weekend-- time change this weekend, too.

Cheers.

"Key Route Ken"...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0714 seconds