Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Nostalgia & History > BN trestle name?

Date: 04/11/05 18:42
BN trestle name?
Author: photobob

Does this trestle have a name? I took this shot on a trip to Stevens Pass back in the late 70's. After a long night in the Igloo Tavern in Wenatchee the next mornings railfanning was a little fuzzy.I dont even remember its location.

Date: 04/11/05 20:38
Re: BN trestle name?
Author: cewherry

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does this trestle have a name? I took this shot on
> a trip to Stevens Pass back in the late 70's.
> After a long night in the Igloo Tavern in
> Wenatchee the next mornings railfanning was a
> little fuzzy.I dont even remember its location.

Nason Creek Bridge, MP1696.5. It is located between the E. switch Berne and W. switch Merritt. The westbound is about to enter tunnel 14.7 also known as Gaynor Tunnel in honor of long time electrical foreman Joe Gaynor from GN electric days. (I think that's right..how about it BNSF hogger?

Charlie

Date: 04/11/05 22:07
Author: MartinBurwash

Known as Gaynor Trestle...part of a line relocation in the late 40's that also produced the short Gaynor Tunnel just railroad west of the bridge.

Martin Burwash

Date: 04/11/05 22:10
Author: MartinBurwash

One final note of interest, GN Ry telegrams from the 1910 snow blockade identify this area as "Gaynor".

Martin Burwash

Date: 04/12/05 08:26
Author: cewherry

MartinBurwash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One final note of interest, GN Ry telegrams from
> the 1910 snow blockade identify this area as
> "Gaynor".
>
> Martin Burwash

Thanks, Martin. Maybe my information regarding the name Gaynor is incorrect. That, or the name Gaynor extended for more than 2 generations. I recall there was a Gaynor that worked at Interbay RH as late the 1980-90's or even later. I was told that his father was the Gaynor that was the electrical foreman that the tunnel was named after. Your 1910 references seem to pre-date that possibility or else there was even an earlier generation of Gaynor's around on the GN. I have not heard of the bridge in Photobobs picture refered to as Gaynor though.

Charlie

Date: 04/13/05 13:23
Author: TCnR

> Does this trestle have a name?

The September 1998 Great Northern Rwy & Historical Society mailing to its members includes a Reference sheet (no. 265) on the Nason Creek Line Relocation. The presentation by Stuart Holmquist and Peter Thompson includes many incredible Company photos of the bridge during construction, area views showing the old alignment and maps or sketches of the project. A photo of the east tunnel portal described as "Old Gaynor" is a little confusing when compared to the maps as the west portal is next to the old alignment, the east portal is quite a distance from the old alignment. There is no other mention of a location called Gaynor, that name does not show on the sketches.
There is also a reprint of the memo presented to the Board of Directors which describes a modern replacement for a bridge over Nason Creek. The material includes a list of Supervising Personnel which includes J.F.N. Gaynor, Superintendent of Electrical Operations, Wenatchee.
The road leading to Bob's Photo was listed as an FS or Forest Service road. The idea for the photo location was based on a published photo, probably from CTC Board. Maybe I can locate that issue for a description. I went through a number of GN reference books last night and did not find the name Gaynor except in Martin's book.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds