Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Nostalgia & History > Alameda (Calif.) excursion for railfans

Date: 04/22/05 00:10
Alameda (Calif.) excursion for railfans
Author: stash

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,898877,898877#msg-898877

The above thread has more photos of this event. Herewith, a color shot.

Date: 04/22/05 17:32
Re: Alameda (Calif.) excursion for railfans
Author: KeyRouteKen

What my Illustrious friend STASH needs to point out, was that on April 8, 1956, this was NOT just an Alameda excursion.. It was an all day jaunt from Oakland Pier and covered all remaining ex-IER trackage, and SPC trackage..
Basic coverage of the trackage used by the SP electrics and the steam local surburban trains before them..

KRK

Date: 04/22/05 17:44
Same SP Train As......?
Author: Westbound

In one of the videotapes I have on the SP I recall there are a few seconds covering what appears to be the same train on what looks like 105th Ave. in Oakland. The automobiles in that video certainly appear to fit in with this time period. Could this train have run on that piece of the old Stonehurst branch that day? If so, was that the one and only passenger train to ever run there?

Date: 04/22/05 18:24
Re: Same SP Train As......?

Hey Mr. Westbound-- The answer to your question is "YES".. As I said just previously, the trip was an all day thing running over ex-IER and SPC trackage..
In order to get to HAVENSCOURT on Bancroft Ave as well as the old Chevy plant at 73rd Avenue in East Oakland, this train had to negotiate the Stonehurst Branch from the SP Mainline in order to connect with IER rails at around 106th & Bancroft...

Questions, sir ??

KRK

Date: 04/22/05 20:41
Author: LarryB

Not to nitpick but the drive in theater is the "Island Drive In". Spent many Friday nights there in my '57 Chevy. Jeez, I'm getting old!

LarryB @ mp308, UP Canyon Sub

Date: 04/22/05 21:38

Hey Larry--
Renowned O-scale modeler (2-rail and trolley) "Paul Icanberry" of Alameda, CA, was the Projectionist for a long time at the old "Island Auto Movie" (drive-in)...

Had the largest O-scale trolley layout in the country in his basement, just a few blocks away from this photo..

Always wondered if he was related to frequent poster//railfan "Glen Icanberry" !!

KRK

Date: 04/22/05 22:20
Author: tracktime

LarryB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to nitpick but the drive in theater is the
> "Island Drive In". Spent many Friday nights there
> in my '57 Chevy. Jeez, I'm getting old!
>
> LarryB @ mp308, UP Canyon Sub

Paraphrasing Photobob.. It's all townhouses now!

I saw the last days of this drive in, but never checked it out.. oh well. I suppose at one time you could sorta recreate that O. Winston link photo with a train going by the drive in, though it ain't gonna be a N&W articulated blasting its way past the silver screen.. =)

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 04/23/05 21:17
Author: LarryB

Ken,
I kinda remember my uncle, who was an Alameda fireman, taking me into someones basement to see trains. Must have been in the early 50's. I wonder if it was the same guy?
Alameda was a nice place to grow up.

LarryB @ mp308, UP Canyon Sub

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0705 seconds