Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Nostalgia & History > Before railroad mega-mergers

Date: 06/05/05 23:30
Before railroad mega-mergers
Author: TonyJ

Reading the article on possible mergers between the seven major railroads got me to think of something 45 years ago on a smaller scale. Back in 1960 SP sent out brochures touting how the control of the Western Pacific made economic sense. On the foldout map inside it shows SP and WP lines in California, Nevada and Utah and how co-ordination would cut costs.

Here is the cover of the SP brochure. - Tony J.

Date: 06/05/05 23:34
Re: Before railroad mega-mergers

Here is the open letter to "Shippers, Communities and the General Public" from Southern Pacific Company President D.J. Russell. Otehr pages explain why SP feels control of WP in necessary, how the shippers and communities would benefit, and more.

It was a big deal back then and the I.C.C. gave the idea and thumbs down. You can't help but wonder what would have happened if the I.C.C. would have approved. - Tony J.

Date: 06/06/05 03:51
Author: danf

I'd sure hate to think what SP would have done to the California Zephyr had they taken control in 1960. Could you imagine automated food service on the CZ? During the 60's, SP purposefully drove passengers away. At least the CZ went out with dignity.

Date: 06/06/05 09:18
Author: stash

I remember that proposed merger battle. There was even a debate on television about it. As a young kid I worried about the fate of the California Zephyr and did not want to see SP succeed in their quest.

Date: 06/06/05 14:59

stash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember that proposed merger battle. There was
> even a debate on television about it. As a young
> kid I worried about the fate of the California
> Zephyr and did not want to see SP succeed in their
> quest.
>
>
Stash,
What's this "young kid" stuff. You trying to make Key Route Ken and me older than dirt? Hmmmm, I guess we are. - Tony J.

Date: 06/06/05 16:40
Author: stash

TonyJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> stash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I remember that proposed merger battle. There
> was
> > even a debate on television about it. As a
> young
> > kid I worried about the fate of the
> California
> > Zephyr and did not want to see SP succeed in
> their
> > quest.
> >
> >
> Stash,
> What's this "young kid" stuff. You trying to make
> Key Route Ken and me older than dirt? Hmmmm, I
> guess we are. - Tony J.
>
>
>

YEAH...I guess so.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0669 seconds