Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Nostalgia & History > Name Of Penn Central Train Derailed In 1974 Xenia OH To

Date: 06/22/05 16:40
Name Of Penn Central Train Derailed In 1974 Xenia OH To
Author: stretch

I was doing some storm searching today and came across this excerpt from a site:

Winds approximately 340 mph to 380 actual; more were hypothesized. The wind derailed and scattered a Penn Central 52 car train that was moving through Xenia at the time- they met head on and the tornado left a major undertaking for the Army Corps of Engineers. Recovery and rescue were impeded due to the train dividing the city literally in half. Fortunately Wright Patterson Air Force Base was able to access the city from North 68. The night was filled with many long convoys of vehicles and personnel

Any info on this train? Was anyone in this storm?

Date: 06/22/05 16:48
Re: Name Of Penn Central Train Derailed In 1974 Xenia O
Author: stretch

This site also has a sound clip of the tornado approaching. You're also supposed to be able to hear the Penn Central's horn blowing. I listened to it and I beleive I faintly heard it. Have a look and see for yourself:
http://kitty.net.tripod.com/fade.html

Date: 06/22/05 19:22
Author: cs16

At about min 2:47 you can hear the horn. Interesting slide show.

Date: 06/23/05 11:33
Author: BaltoJoey

Man, listening to that gave me goose bumps. Imaging in my mind the destruction that was taking place. I also heard the sound of the train horn blowing. During the last third of the wav you can hear two blasts.

BaltoJoey

PS: Were there any casualties among the train crew?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds