Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Nostalgia & History > WP Depot in Sunol, CA....

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/03/05 13:52
WP Depot in Sunol, CA....
Author: KeyRouteKen

Here is an early 1900's shot of the Western Pacific depot in Sunol, Ca in Niles Canyon.

Date unknown.. Photographer unknown.

Photo courtesy of "Marvin Maynard Collection"..

Date: 07/03/05 15:01
Re: WP Depot in Sunol, CA....
Author: danf

That's a rare photo. I wonder where exactly in Sunol it was located. The position of the sun and the flat land behind it should give some clues, but I really can't tell where...

Date: 07/03/05 17:24
Author: NI030

Here is a better shot of the same depot from www.sunol.net. While the sign is not SP, and the photo is indicated is being the WP Depot, it sure looks alot like the Sunol SP Depot

Date: 07/03/05 18:27

You know where that is? That's on the curve where highway 84 goes under UP now. It was probably demolished back when they did that project (1941?) or shortly before. That is the curve that leads into Sunol from the west. The hills in the background are about right for that too. The photo below would be the same location if my theory is right.

Couldn't possibly be an SP depot because of the signs and the Trainorder semaphore. SP was very strict about their "standards". Both the sign and TO board are both WP style.

Date: 07/03/05 21:41
Author: Evan_Werkema

danf Wrote:

> You know where that is? That's on the curve where
> highway 84 goes under UP now. It was probably
> demolished back when they did that project (1941?)
> or shortly before.

Was it? There's a building in Sunol railroad east of downtown being used as a residence that looks a lot like a WP frame depot. I was told it was the ex-WP Sunol depot, but I recall it being somewhat smaller than the building shown in these photos.

Date: 07/03/05 22:16

I guess I shouldn't be quoted that it was "torn down" since I don't actually know that. It may have been moved at some point. I still suspect that the location I stated earlier is where it originally stood. Do you have a photo of how it looks today? That or you could tell me where it is and I'll check it out tomorrow.

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Was it? There's a building in Sunol railroad east
> of downtown being used as a residence that looks a
> lot like a WP frame depot. I was told it was the
> ex-WP Sunol depot, but I recall it being somewhat
> smaller than the building shown in these photos.

Date: 07/03/05 22:53

Dan, I think the depot may have been just east of the location in your shot. If you look at this map from 1953 you can see where the siding was probably in front of the station.

Date: 07/03/05 23:36

Perhaps just in front of those trees? That is possible too. If you come out tomorrow we'll go check that out. Maybe there are foundation remnants (if we're lucky).

That map also shows a couple buildings where the SP depot stood before it was moved. I don't have the date handy, but it seems to me that it was moved up the road sometime before 1953. I doubt that the building squares on that map were necessarily updated for that 1953 map. It still doesn't tell us when the WP depot was moved (or removed). That siding may have been removed before 1953 as well, but I don't know that for sure. The siding that ran through Pleasanton was removed in 1962 according to a signal schematic that I have from there.

Date: 07/04/05 12:26

Now that we have all had a "say" about the photo I ran of the Sunol WP Depot, I will state this:

I got this picture along with thousands of others from long-time Bay Area rail historian "Marvin Maynard" before he passed away.
Marvin was "up there" with other rail notables such as Ted Wurm, Vernon Sappers, Guy Dunscomb, Larry Harrison, Jim Boynton, Al Phelps, Will Wittaker, Gilbert Kneiss, Fred Stindt, Doug Richter, Art Lloyd, and many others.
Marvin was one of the original members, along with Captain Fredric Shaw, of the San Francisco chapter of the "Railroadians of America" . He also belonged to most of the other Bay Area rail clubs.
I tell you all this to give you his credentials of authenticity as he definitely knew what the heck was going on with railroading in the West!

It was "Marvin" himself who told me on more than one occasion, that the ex-WP Depot from Sunol was saved and moved. He said that the building is right next to Mission Blvd. in Niles, on the LEFT side of the road, kind of elevated on an earthen enbankment, "just before" dipping down to go thru the RR underpass, as you head Southbound on Mission...

In 1995, it was still there! There are doubters on this board, I know. Because this topic has come up before. In other words, the WP Depot has been and may still be, a private residence. Check it out-- Mssrs. Furtado, Werkema, Martin, Ramos, and et al., and see what you see.

Remember the definition of a "Mirage" from Laurel & Hardy---

"It's something that you see that isn't there--
or, something that ain't there, that you cannot see" !!

Cheers.

"Key Route Ken"...

Date: 07/04/05 13:24

The ex-WP Depot located off of Mission Blvd in Niles is still there. Last year it was recently exposed by the Mission Blvd widening project. Last year we had some discussion on the Bay Area Railroad History Yahoo group about just exactly which station this is. If I remember right we determined that this depot was the old Irvington Depot.

Date: 07/04/05 17:16

Well I just got back from Sunol. It appears the WP Sunol depot is still in Sunol about a block from the tracks on Bond St. It has been converted to a private residence.

Date: 07/04/05 20:08

I walked over there today with Evan Werkema and we are convinced that that is the Sunol depot that is in Sunol. Glad you got a picture because I chickened out (hate to shoot pictures of private residences w/out permission) He brought up the fact that the building is smaller. Looking at the two photos (old and new) and it appears that they lopped off the freight room before they moved it. The depot on Mission Blvd is said to be from Irvington and I believe that to be the case. The building on Mission is definetely "NOT" from Sunol (sorry to disagree Ken). A simple comparison of the two photos proves it. Look at the bay windows on the two buildings. The one on Mission doesn't go all the way to the ground. Also, look at the doors and windows to the right of the bay window - compare carefully. Some modifications may have taken place, but the double window is probably original. Someone have a photo of the Irvington depot to post?

Date: 07/04/05 20:20

Here is the Irvington Depot.

Date: 07/04/05 21:21

It seems that the bay window theory was no good, but look at the exhaust stacks on the roof. The ones on the Irvington depot match those with the building on Mission Blvd exactly. The stacks on the roof of the Sunol depot are just over the peak of the roof and on the back side and may have been removed at some point. I still stand by my comparison of the windows.

Date: 07/04/05 23:24

You guys call it like you want to.. I don't personally care.

However, it starts to be noticeable in the last nine months or so, that every time "KRK" posts a photo of some kind, it arouses debate, and serious question. All I can do is READ what the original owner of the photo has scribbled on the back of same.

However, when Stash or John Harder or Espeeboy or Alex Ramos ,et al posts photos, they're taken as gospel.
That's all fine too. Believe who you want!!

I have other things to do than post pictures on here.. Think I'll take a rest for a while.
Thanks.

KRK

Date: 07/04/05 23:47

Ok Ken, I'm not debating what is printed on those photos, but I have to say that three of us (Werkema, Silagi and myself) personally looked at these buildings in person and this is what we've concluded. I think that if you looked at the photos carefully, you might agree that something is amiss.

Nothing for you to take personally. Next time you are in the Bay Area, we can go together and look over these buildings and compare with the old photos. If we're wrong, then we're wrong. In the meantime I still look forward to seeing what you dig out of your collection and share with us. Isn't that what is fun about this hobby anyway, investigating what used to be?...

KeyRouteKen Wrote:

> I have other things to do than post pictures on
> here.. Think I'll take a rest for a while.
> Thanks.
>
>
> KRK

Date: 07/05/05 10:12

Ken, Similar to what I said to you in my private e-mail to you, don't take it personally. We are just a bunch of history buffs who want to make sure that history is recorded properly. History is full of errors and we just want to minimize them. Like I said before, keep the great photos coming!

Richard

Date: 07/06/05 13:17

OK guys-- I'll take "another chance" with you detectives of historical sites. (grin)

More photos will be posted next week !

Cheers.

"Key Route Ken"...

Date: 07/06/05 13:31

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
> OK guys-- I'll take "another chance" with you
> detectives of historical sites. (grin)

Thanks Ken, If we get out of line, just hit us over the head with a RR tie or something.

Date: 07/06/05 14:03
Author: TCnR

silagi Wrote:
> KeyRouteKen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > OK guys-- I'll take "another chance" with
> you
> > detectives of historical sites. (grin)
>
> Thanks Ken, If we get out of line, just hit us
> over the head with a RR tie or something.

Great stuff, keep at it guys. Didn't know either of those buildings existed.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0906 seconds