Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Nostalgia & History > NEW Photos Discovered...

Date: 07/18/05 17:16
NEW Photos Discovered...
Author: KeyRouteKen

Well, actually, the photos are NEW because you guys haven't seen them before. They are VERY old photos that I had misplaced years ago.

They came to me in an old black photo album from the estate of the late Gorme Koeppe (sic), a former Bay Area locomotive engineer (SP, I believe)..

Ok-- Wait til you see these. The duel with Stash, Harder, Espeeboy and Tony J. is going to heat up again.

Examples: The complete still photo collection of the CASPAR excursion in 1938 by the R&LHS...
The still photos of the Michigan-Cal Lumber Co. excursion around the same era with the Diamond & Caldor thrown in..
Calvalcade of the Golden West on Treasure Island for the GGIE/World's Fair...
Grahame Hardy's BOOKSTORE and basement railroad in Oakland, CA...
Old West Oakland photos..
Photos of the Eastbay Model Engineers Society O-scale layout in the Western Pacific baggage room at 3rd & Washington Sts in Oakland... (this was PRIOR to setting up in Emeryville for 44 years)..
Misc Key System shots.. The list continues...

The Problem: "Koeppe" 'GLUED' the photos on old black photo album paper, two sided.. Tie strings hold the album together (barely) !!

I'm thinking about removing the tie strings and seeing if I can maneuver the pages around in different ways to SCAN them with my HP... This will take a little time.
The wife is going thru some surgery treatments and my time is dedicated to her at the moment except for occasional postings.

Just was excited as to what I "may" have found hiding in my closet.. I'll be in touch.

"Key Route Ken"...

Date: 07/18/05 17:48
Re: NEW Photos Discovered...
Author: Nitehostler

Thanks, Gorham was a good friend to a lot of us PLA members in the 60's & 70's. I spent a couple of graveyard shifts with him in SF, once on an Alco & once on an FM. He had some nice old stories of firing on the Coast Division that I wish I'd recorded for posterity.
He came down to Castro Point a few times...I remember him running Heisler 5 for one day. He missed 4449 on the Freedom Day in the Bay Area by maybe a week or so. This was pointed out to me at his funeral by Charles Heimerdinger.
Gorham was one of the good guys.

Tom

Date: 07/19/05 09:13
Author: RLcabin

I worked for Grahame Hardy one summer in the 1960s after he moved his railroadiana business to Silver City, NV. What a character! Hope you post some pictures of him and his store.

RL Cabin

Date: 07/19/05 10:04
Author: KeyRouteKen

I DO indeed plan to post photos of Grahame Hardy and his store in East Oakland. I think it was out in the neighborhood of 18th Avenue and East 14th Street or close nearby..

A "LOT" of early railfans got their start in an Eastbay "BASEMENT" ... How co-incidental to be sure!!

Either "Grahame Hardy's " basement on East 14th Street in the Brooklyn section of East Oakland, or in "Vic Shattock's " basement a few blocks South in Fruitvale at 38th Ave & Foothill Blvd., or in "Paul Icanberry's " basement at 1091-Park Avenue in Alameda..

Basement's were definitely busy in the 30's and 40's..

Cheers.

"Key Route Ken"...

Date: 07/19/05 11:27
Author: C.P.Huntington

Looking forward to seeing your photos. Hope that your wife recovers quickly.

Date: 07/19/05 11:59
Author: zephyrus

Ken,

Can't wait to see them. And best wishes on your wife's recovery.

Z

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds