Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad in 1962

Date: 07/19/05 11:44
The Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad in 1962
Author: m1bprr

Some reading on a very rainy Sunday, from Ed K. cp. Laurel Run.

I read with great interest Jack Wheelihan's story, School of Steam, in the Winter 2004 issue of Classic Trains.

I met Jack back in 1962, when he lived in New Jersey, before his stint with EMD. Jack, Myself, and the late Bud Rothaar, made a trip to the Buffalo Creek & Gauley back in 1962 using Jack's then new 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Upon arrival at the Engine house at Dundon, the crew which was coming to work, all came over to admire Jack's new Pontiac. Ab Wilson, the firemen looked at Jack through his squinty eye and said "That there is a Pontiac, ain't it". You must remember this is pick up country! Anyway, we were informed by hostler Bobby Caruthers that the #4 would be heading out to the B&O. Interchange at Dundon to pick up empties, and head up to the mine at Widen.

Well after we got some shots at the interchange, Jack pointed the Pontiac at Cressmont, which is the start of a great pacing stretch into Swandale. Soon the #4 showed up with train making quite a commotion! We commenced to pacing it with Jack at the wheel. Jack was quite excited because I think this was his first trip to the BC&G. Bud Rothaar, and myself, had a few trips here under our belt.

As we paced along, what with the commotion the #4 was making, and Ab Wilson's antics in between stoking, making like he was going to spit his wad of chewing tobacco on Jack's car. Jack got so caught up in the action, that he got us off the road on the bank of the Buffalo Creek which paralleled on the right! There we were, stuck at a 45 degree angle in the soft dirt, fly ash, bank of the Buffalo Creek! The train kept going. Now what can we do? The Pontiac had only a scratch in the right door, Jack, and I were some what shook up. Bud didn't fair too well, seems his 4X5 Super Graphic slammed into his arm! He was bleeding, we patched him up.

Now the fact remained, How are we going to get out of this? About that time along comes a Jeep out of the Georgia Pacific Lumber mill at Swandale, it had a GP decal on it. Out gets a tall fellow who says, "You fella's got a might bit of trouble, don't think this Jeep can pull out though." He informs us that a log truck is behind him, out of Swandale. He ought to be able to help, and drives off.

Soon along comes this 1954 Ford F600 tractor, with a skeleton trailer loaded to the hilt with logs! He stops, gets out. Here is a man who looks all the world like Hoss Cartright (Dan Blocker). We wondered if he could do anything with that rig. We asked him, if he could help. He says "Got ten forward speeds, one of em ought git you all out!" He gets a chain out wraps it around the Pontiac's A frame (front suspension) attaches it to the rear of the trailer, hops in the truck, puts it into granny low, and drags us back on to the road! Wow! we were elated! We give him a $20 bill, remember, this was 1962, 20 went far in Clay County WV. in those days.

Later on as we related our experience to General Manager G. Richard Manning, he informed us the log truck's driver was Biggins FitzWater, and he must be the riches man in Swandale! Those were great days on the BC&G. I haven't seen Jack Wheelihan since, till 2001, when Steve Ward, Richard Smith, and I were chasing UP. Challenger 3985 through Utah. Jack was firing that trip, boy! We all are getting old! Bud Rothaar, Gene Gentsch, and I, made our first trip there in my 1961 Chevrolet Corvette, but that's another story.

Edward J. Kaspriske

Date: 07/19/05 15:25
Re: The Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad in 1962
Author: MTMEngineer

Why does this seem like deja vu all over again?

Date: 07/19/05 16:49
Re: The Buffalo Creek & Gauley Railroad in 1962
Author: Frisco1522

I think I just read that somewhere....Classic Trains?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds