Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Nostalgia & History > UP DD-35 #80

Date: 08/18/05 22:10
UP DD-35 #80
Author: PZRMN

UP DD-35 #80 is shown here in Denver, CO on 6/1/69. Photo by Neil Shankweiler.

Was Union Pacific the only RR to run these and were any of the DD-35's saved in museums anywhere?

Thanks.

PZ

Date: 08/18/05 23:22
Re: UP DD-35 #80
Author: tracktime

PZRMN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UP DD-35 #80 is shown here in Denver, CO on
> 6/1/69. Photo by Neil Shankweiler.
>

Nice Photo!

> Was Union Pacific the only RR to run these

YES for the DD35A. The DD35 (cabless) was owned by both the UP and SP.

> and
> were any of the DD-35's saved in museums
> anywhere?

No. unfortunately not.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 08/18/05 23:23
Author: bnsfsd70

"Was Union Pacific the only RR to run these and were any of the DD-35's saved in museums anywhere?"

Yes, the UP was the only road to get these, although the SP had some DD35B's as well. As for preservation, I don't believe any of these got saved, although plenty of the DD40AX's did get saved.

Let a UP fan enlighten you further, Jeff

Date: 08/19/05 04:57
Author: filmteknik

It's debatable whether the cabless version ought to have the B suffix since the original offering didn't include a version with a cab. That came later. So the latter is DD35A while the former is simply DD35.

Some DD35 (or DD35A) long hoods may survive as part of some M-K "kitbashed" rebuilds.

Date: 08/20/05 08:48
Author: BNSFhogger

I remember seeing a long line of DD35s at Fife yard in Tacoma, WA in November or December of 1979 waiting to go to the scrapper.

Date: 08/20/05 13:18
Author: RickH

If memory serves me correctly this whole concept of an "A" or "B" unit found it's way into railroadiana from the railfans and foaming model railroaders. I am not knocking these types. Just hear me out.

Example: When Santa Fe and other roads recieved the first sets of FT's they were called A-B-B-C. Railfans (RF's) and Model Railroader (MR's) dropped the C and entitled the units with cabs as "A" units and the cabless units as "B" units or the infamous, uncomplimentary, so called "Dummy" units.

Another item of trivia, has the railfans responsible for calling the early FT's and the F7 type units, that followed; "Covered Wagons". It seems to me most EMD advertising (and I could be wrong) indicated the units as "Cab or Cabless". Going on, to indicate what type of cabs were available to order.

Although, this subject was discussed in a previous thread I wouldn't get to worried about the "A or B" designations. As railfans tend to put their own labels on such things.

God bless the creative railfan. How would we inteligently discuss such issues without RF and MR railfanning lingo as opposed to anything but railroad lingo.

Before, you burn me, for what appears to be anti-RF and MR comments, check this out. I don't hate railfans or the foaming model railroaders after all I am one of them. Just hate, having to keep up with the constantly changing, RF and MR foaming lingo. I would prefer to use railroad lingo. Listen to Red, SooLineHoghead, Tycoon, Agt.Highland, GP30 and other rails, here on line. We could learn a thing or two.

Have fun.

RickH

Edited Portion: Check this out! Off line, it was brought to my attention that I OOPs'd. Yeah well I am human and err, too.

Santa Fe's first F7 types, delivered in a grouping of four units, were actually L-A-B-C. By today's A & B standards you had an A that was cabless. While the L & C had cabs. You can see how confusing all this can get. Chill, it's ok. Call them what you like.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds