Home Open Account Help 191 users online

Nostalgia & History > 23 Years Ago on the Highline

Date: 08/19/05 09:03
23 Years Ago on the Highline
Author: Amtkrd4man

Found this one stuffed away in the house....The normal lash up of 5 motors... Taken in 1982. Can't remember though which siding this was..

Date: 08/19/05 09:47
Re: 23 Years Ago on the Highline
Author: mc5725

That's Heritage! (Like Larry the Cable Guy says) I don't care who you are!

Date: 08/19/05 10:23
Author: TCnR

It's the siding just south of Beiber/NuBeiber, something like Pitt River. One of the few places left on my California list, thanks for reminding me. Would like to hear or see any suggestions how to get there, did a MapQuest but suspect there's a trick in there somewhere. Maybe they'll run same that consist back from KF tomorrow.

Date: 08/19/05 11:29
Author: Washita

great shot!

Date: 08/19/05 12:45
Author: Goatboat

Looks like the east (now north) switch at Little Valley.

- gb -

Date: 08/19/05 12:56
Author: donner_dude1

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's the siding just south of Beiber/NuBeiber,
> something like Pitt River.

Pitt River? - I haven't heard of that siding. The Pitt River crosses the line just south of Bieber and the line begins a climb up a 1.8% grade up to Hall's Flat. I believe the next siding south of Bieber was Dixie (which is no longer there). The shot may have been taken from there but it would have been hell to access.

After that there's the Little Valley siding which still exists and is accessable. BNSF was upgrading the siding installing welded rail last summer. I watched a meet between 2 trains there, the northbound was creeping down the 1.8% and had only 100 feet to spare. The Southbound who had the main left and immediately pulled a drawbar trying to move upgrade. That's a mean little grade without DPU's or helpers.

When I first looked at that picture I thought it may be Little Valley since the hills in look pretty similiar to some pictures I took last summer. Of course the trees have grown quite a bit in 23 years....

Would like to hear or see any suggestions how
> to get there, did a MapQuest but suspect there's a
> trick in there somewhere. Maybe they'll run same
> that consist back from KF tomorrow.

There's a VERY rough 4wd drive road accessed from the Little Valley side that will take you partially back to the Horseshoe curve just south of Dixie. I wouldn't recommend that road to anyone who likes their vehicle. Better to hike in early morning and hopefully catch a train or 2 during good sun. Neat area though. Also check downtown (lol) Willow Springs and Little Valley. Your car will be covered in red volcanic dust if you drive any of the local roads.

Great Picture by the way. I bet those GP40's and U30B's were really clawing up that grade. The sound must have terrific.

Date: 08/19/05 14:02
Author: TCnR

Good info, probably DonnerDude photos from last year that I remember. Seems like everything back there is called Pitt River something but never shows on the map. My truck thanks you too.

Date: 08/20/05 09:58
Author: Amtkrd4man

Greg....I think that might be it...Was one of the trips that Mike D dragged me out of town at 300a....Glad I went now...G

Date: 08/20/05 11:36
Author: Goatboat

Amtkrd4man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greg....I think that might be it...Was one of the
> trips that Mike D dragged me out of town at
> 300a....Glad I went now...G

George, I did some of those "0 dark 30" trips with Mike, too. Lots of nice photos came from them...

- gb -

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds