Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Canadian Railroads > Union Station Rail Corridor - Toronto

Date: 09/29/08 09:05
Union Station Rail Corridor - Toronto
Author: ghCBNS

I was in Toronto last weekend and had a “room with a view” at the Intercontinental Hotel overlooking the western approach to Union Station. Another hotel with a good view is the Marriott located in Rogers Centre (SkyDome) Photo #1.

Getting down to ground level another viewing option is the Skywalk from Union Station over to the base of the CN Tower. There’s an open platform at the end that overlooks the tracks. (the bottom left corner of photo #2)

Date: 09/29/08 09:06
Re: Union Station Rail Corridor - Toronto
Author: ghCBNS

And some shots from the Skywalk:

VIA-Amtrak “Maple Leaf”
VIA “Canadian”
GO Bi-level

Date: 09/29/08 09:39
Author: smitty195

Is the GO Commuter train a special, or are they always that long?

Date: 09/29/08 10:12
Author: bn2189

A standard GO set is 10 cars. There are six 12-car sets working the Milton Line trains that also work some Lake Shore trains.

So, yes, they are always that long!

Maltby Turn out.

Date: 09/29/08 11:36
Author: david

ghCBNS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was in Toronto last weekend and had a “room
> with a view” at the Intercontinental Hotel
> overlooking the western approach to Union Station.
> Another hotel with a good view is the Marriott
> located in Rogers Centre (SkyDome.) ...
>
Given the great railway views it seems appropriate that both of these hotels were at one time operated by railway hotel chains, although they were not owned by them. The Intercontinental was originally a Canadian National hotel (L'Hotel) which became Canadian Pacific when CP bought the CN chain of hotels. The hotel at the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome) was originally a Canadian Pacific hotel. So for a few years there were three Canadian Pacific hotels in Toronto, all easily accessible to Union Station.

Date: 09/29/08 12:10
Author: rresor

Stayed in L'Hotel in fall of 1988, when attending a transportation conference in Toronto. My room (quite luxurious) had a panoramic view right down the west throat of Toronto Union, just as the original poster's seems to have. GREAT view! Nice hotel too.

CN put on a reception for us at the top of the CN Tower, and there were fireworks over the harbor (not sure what the occasion was) that same night.

Date: 09/29/08 16:27
Author: jp1822

Appears that the second photo in the first post has the former BC Rail "Glen Fraser" lounge car as the rear car in the consist. What train is VIA using this car for? I saw it hanging out at the Toronto Maintenance Facility when I passed by on the Maple Leaf a couple of weeks ago.

Also the VIA/Maple Leaf trains has an extra Amfleet car on the back. Anyone know the story on that one? I believe this equipment "set" is rotated in with the Pennsylvanian......

Date: 09/29/08 18:10
Author: ProRail

Thank you, Lord, for Canada. A little bit of Europe without having to go through the hassle of airport security.

Date: 09/29/08 18:22
Author: bn2189

jp1822 Wrote:
> Appears that the second photo in the first post
> has the former BC Rail "Glen Fraser" lounge car as
> the rear car in the consist. What train is VIA
> using this car for?

Seasonal day trains #93/(6)94 to Niagara Falls and return. The excellent picture showed #93 backing in to Union Station for its 10:00 departure.

Maltby Turn out.

Date: 09/30/08 15:23
Author: crs1026

The F59-MP40 combos are likely temporary, until the newly delivered MP40s are broken in and can be relied on to perform on their own. Get your F59 shots while you can!

- Paul

Date: 10/01/08 09:00
Author: david

crs1026 Wrote:
> The F59-MP40 combos are likely temporary, until
> the newly delivered MP40s are broken in and can be
> relied on to perform on their own. Get your F59
> shots while you can!
>
> - Paul

Two locomotives are used on all week-end GO trains (only the Lakeshore Line runs on week-ends.) The only exception I have seen since the double-headers became normal about two years ago, is extra runs during a major event, such as the CNE air show.

The F59s will be around for quite a while. There are only 27 MP40s. Go has 45 F59s, although several have been laid up since the new locos began to arrive.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds