Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Canadian Railroads > Napierville Junction Railway, part of the D&H

Date: 12/27/08 17:23
Napierville Junction Railway, part of the D&H
Author: eminence_grise

The Delaware & Hudson Railway had a Canadian subsidiary, the Napierville Junction Railway which operated from Rouses Point NY to Montreal QC. The D&H had its own line to Delson QC where it joined the CP to cross the St.Lawrence River. The freight trains operated into CP's Cote St.Luc classification yard in Montreal.

The NJR was dieselised with a pair of MLW built RS2's, 4050 and 4051. These two units would haul the D&H's Canada bound traffic from Rouses Point to Montreal on a daily basis. Older export laws relating to locomotives and tasks performed by a US crew working in Canada made it practical to have Canadian built locomotives. The crew were D&H employees based at Rouses Point NY, qualified on the Canadian operating rules.

For some reason, only the 4051 was painted in an adaption of the D&H blue and grey scheme, 4050 remained in the original black throughout its career. Both locomotives were traded back to MLW by the D&H.

The images show NJR 4050 in the departure yard at Cote St.Luc ready to return to Rouses Point. The CP train on the adjacent track is the Montreal to Cornwall ON. turn, lead by an RS10 operating backwards.

NJR 4051 is on the ready track outside the CP's Cote St.Luc diesel shop.

Date: 12/27/08 17:40
Re: Napierville Junction Railway, part of the D&H
Author: Alco251

If I could get my scanner working, I'd show you the shots of these units I shot in service on the Hershey Cuban Railway at Camilio Cienfuegos (Hershey), Cuba, in March, 1980...eminence, I believe I gave a couple of those slides to The Cambridge Curmudgeon on Orrs Lake Hill....

Date: 12/28/08 13:51
Author: RD10747

In the middle '50's, we rode from Montreal to New York City..
our passes required thus:
Montreal to Rouses Point--NJ Ry
Rouses Point to Albany----D&H
Albany tto Grand Central--NYC

Three different railroads..rode in a NYC
round end parlor obs car..still have the
tkt stubs..$3.70 each...

Date: 12/28/08 15:36
Author: kgmontreal

Love to see the shots of the NJ units in Cuba. Fire up that slide scanner. Viva Hershey!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0281 seconds