Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Canadian Railroads > Dome car(s) on the Skeena question

Date: 01/01/11 12:19
Dome car(s) on the Skeena question
Author: DTrainshooter

Thought I'd start a new thread for this...does the Skeena have a dome or domes in January/February 2011? After looking at
VIA's website I got the impression that it doesn't operate with any domes this time of year. I'm still thinking of doing a
Canrailpass - 7 segments for $588 off peak and haven't ridden the Skeena before. I was going to rough it in coach which is
fine for the Canadian with the Skyline car (dome) but probably wouldn't ride the Skeena without a dome. Thanks for any advice/info!

Don Delitz
Melbourne, FL

Date: 01/01/11 12:22
Re: Dome car(s) on the Skeena question
Author: BNSF3450

The Skeena usually operates with a Skyline Dome car in the off-season, which offers lounge and dining services. In the peak season, they operate with a Park Cark. The Panorama "dome" coaches were added a few years back during peak season for the Deluxe Totem Class.

BNSF3450

Date: 01/01/11 12:26
Author: DTrainshooter

Thanks for that BNSF3450...that's very good news to me. Guess I'll start putting together a Winter 2011 VIA trip!

Date: 01/01/11 22:54
Author: jp1822

I guess you'll either get a Skyline or Park Car Dome/Lounge. When I last was on the Canadian in the off-season (2008 I believe) we passed the Skeena as it was approaching Jasper and it was operating with an F40, Budd stainless steel coach and the famous Park Car! I always thought the Skeena (Jasper to Prince Rupert Train) operated with a Park Car year-round, just limited to "Touring Class" passengers now in peak season as the "Totem Deluxe" after the Panorama Cars were taken off in 2009 or so. The Skylines still seem to be needed in the "off-season" for the Chaleur (train to Gaspe), Canadian (which could have an expanded consist from time to time in off-season), and one trainset for the Ocean in the off-season. There's only a few more Skyline Dome/Lounge Cars than Park Dome/Lounge Cars I believe on the roster!

Date: 01/01/11 23:28
Author: BNSF3450

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess you'll either get a Skyline or Park Car
> Dome/Lounge. When I last was on the Canadian in
> the off-season (2008 I believe) we passed the
> Skeena as it was approaching Jasper and it was
> operating with an F40, Budd stainless steel coach
> and the famous Park Car! I always thought the
> Skeena (Jasper to Prince Rupert Train) operated
> with a Park Car year-round, just limited to
> "Touring Class" passengers now in peak season as
> the "Totem Deluxe" after the Panorama Cars were
> taken off in 2009 or so. The Skylines still seem
> to be needed in the "off-season" for the Chaleur
> (train to Gaspe), Canadian (which could have an
> expanded consist from time to time in off-season),
> and one trainset for the Ocean in the off-season.
> There's only a few more Skyline Dome/Lounge Cars
> than Park Dome/Lounge Cars I believe on the
> roster!

There must be a parrot in the room.....

BNSF3450

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds