Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Canadian Railroads > great ride on via #2

Date: 12/08/11 09:00
great ride on via #2
Author: hogtrain

Wife and I had a great trip on #2 departing Vancouver on 29Nov. Had two RM full domes on headend between locos leaving Vancouver. Picked up a private car behind the Yoho Park somewhere east of Winnipeg. About two hours late into Toronto. On board crews were great in taking care of me as I broke my arm on the day of departure checking out of motel. Many thanks, Canada Hogtrain in Arkansas

Date: 12/08/11 09:49
Re: great ride on via #2
Author: eminence_grise

hogtrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wife and I had a great trip on #2 departing
> Vancouver on 29Nov. Had two RM full domes on
> headend between locos leaving Vancouver. Picked
> up a private car behind the Yoho Park somewhere
> east of Winnipeg. About two hours late into
> Toronto. On board crews were great in taking care
> of me as I broke my arm on the day of departure
> checking out of motel. Many thanks, Canada
> Hogtrain in Arkansas

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get dinged for hospital care and ambulance in Vancouver?

Our local hospital inland charges $750 a visit to the emergency room for those not covered by insurance.

Date: 12/08/11 15:04
Author: hogtrain

My son-in-law drove me to Lionsgate Hospital. The first thing they asked for was a credit card and what the limit was. So far only $1,450.00 US has been charged. Fortunately I have out of coverage on my MC supplement, so I can file a claim when all the charges are in. I was very pleased with the medical care I received. It would have taken me longer to get home by air than the train trip, so I loaded up with pain pills and had a wonderful train trip across Canada. The snow between Kamloops and Jasper was worth the trip.

Date: 12/09/11 04:28
Author: hoggerdoug

I am a firm believer to buy extra health insurance while travelling, particularly if out of the country. Had to use it while on a cruise ship, one phone call and all was taken care of. Also had extra insurance this past summer while travelling to the east coast of Canada, unfortunately I had a heart attack and it was one phone call and all was taken care of. Even my provincial health care card was accepted and used in the other provinces. Doug

Date: 12/09/11 08:47

hoggerdoug Wrote:
. Even my provincial health care card
> was accepted and used in the other provinces.
> Doug

Quebec and BC have an ongoing health care card snit going on ... nowadays I buy extra insurance going to Montreal. Seems like they won't cover you for three months of initial residency.

Date: 12/09/11 14:45
Author: crs1026

From other notes I've seen, that "PV" was a Budd RDC deadheading to the east....and you should complain to VIA. For the price they charge, it's unconscionable that they tack something on behind the Park car. Hope you had a good view anyways.

- Paul

Date: 12/10/11 07:38
Author: john1082

Non rail related: I second the suggestion of additional insurance when outside the US. Once upon a time there was a tomato, a knife, a cutting board, and a polished granite counter-top. Slice. And then I met the best plastic surgeon in Capetown, South Africa, who reattached the fingertip. One call . . .

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 12/10/11 07:44
Author: jp1822

crs1026 Wrote:
> From other notes I've seen, that "PV" was a Budd
> RDC deadheading to the east....and you should
> complain to VIA. For the price they charge, it's
> unconscionable that they tack something on behind
> the Park car. Hope you had a good view anyways.
>
> - Paul

Typically this has been a HUGE no-no - to tack on a private car on the rear of the train behind the Park Car. Even if it wasn't a private car but actually a VIA owned Budd RDC.

Was it a "light load" on the Canadian and VIA was in the "who cares" mode? I would definitely lodge a complaint!

Date: 12/10/11 09:33
Author: DrawingroomA

It has been reported elsewhere that this RDC was one from the Sudbury-White River service and was attached to the rear of the Canadian at Capreol. This would be at 0150 if the the train was on time. So there would be minimal annoyance to passengers. When the two RDCs from the Vancouver Island train were sent from Vancouver to Toronto on #2 they were carried between the two units.

On our autumn trip from Halifax to Montreal, the Gaspe train (but not the locomotive) was attached behind the Park car at Matapedia. Although most of the trip was in darkness, there were a few hours of daylight in the morning. Many of the passengers sitting in the rear lounge of the Park car were not impressed. Apparently the Gaspe train and the Ocean are currently being operated as a "J train" with the Gaspe train being at the rear. But there is no Park car in the off-peak season except for two weeks over the Christmas season when "Sleeper Plus" class returns. It appears from Reservia that the two trains will run separately which is the normal procedure for that time.

Date: 12/12/11 06:47
Author: joemvcnj

MU cables between locomotives can pass through RDC's ?

Date: 12/16/11 14:31

joemvcnj Wrote:
> MU cables between locomotives can pass through
> RDC's ?

Don't think so. Also, RDC's were self contained in terms of heating and lighting. CP's did have steam lines, so they could be handled on the head end of CP trains back in the steam generator days, but I don't think they have run through HEP connections.

Date: 12/16/11 20:36
Author: prr4828

Wouldn't the lack of pass-thru HEP cables require the RDC to be carried rearmost?

About the RDC: Was it dead-in-tow? Are there special handling requirements?

Thanks,

* JB *

eminence_grise Wrote:
> joemvcnj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > MU cables between locomotives can pass through
> > RDC's ?
>
> Don't think so. Also, RDC's were self contained in
> terms of heating and lighting. CP's did have steam
> lines, so they could be handled on the head end of
> CP trains back in the steam generator days, but I
> don't think they have run through HEP connections.

Date: 12/16/11 22:54
Author: jp1822

Well I would certainly agree if it was the Sudbury-White River RDC tacked on to the rear of #2. Most of the travel time would have been in darkness, so for me it would enter the "who cares" category! Unfortunately, I got the impression the RDC was added more in the Winnipeg area.

Interesting that the RDC's from Vancouver Island have been returned to Toronto......Afraid that the Malahat may truly be gone in name and service.

Date: 12/18/11 07:50
Author: BNSF3450

jp1822 Wrote:
> Well I would certainly agree if it was the
> Sudbury-White River RDC tacked on to the rear of
> #2. Most of the travel time would have been in
> darkness, so for me it would enter the "who cares"
> category! Unfortunately, I got the impression the
> RDC was added more in the Winnipeg area.
>
> Interesting that the RDC's from Vancouver Island
> have been returned to Toronto......Afraid that the
> Malahat may truly be gone in name and service.

The RDCs are headed to Moncton for rebuild, just as all the others have.

BNSF3450

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0847 seconds