Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Canadian Railroads > ONR's Santa Claus Express

Date: 12/10/11 20:17
ONR's Santa Claus Express
Author: moonliter

Jason Jongen wrote, "The Christmas train is a big step back from the Santa Claus express they have been doing in past years."

First, I would like to thank Jason for his posting his photos of the Ontario Northland's Christmas train. I did not know that they were running a special train so his posting came as a complete surprise to me.

What I was aware of was the ONR's Santa Claus Express which Jason mentions in his post. Again it was by chance I heard about the Santa Claus Express. Back in early 2004 my friend Doug Smith had asked me about this train when he was researching his book, A Century of Travel On The Ontario Northland Railway. I responded,"..that I had not." Doug was lucky enough to find something about this service and couple of photos which he added to the last page of his book.

I have added a short excerpt from the book;

"Established in the early early 1980s the ONTC provides the train of up to 12 cars and crew free of charge to service clubs and civic organizations along the line. These groups organize the events and provide supervision for the children who are generally under 10 years of age."

"No parents are allowed to ride on the train which whisks the children away to the North Pole where Santa waits their arrival. Each child receives a goodie bag whose contents are donated by local merchants."

Doug completed his book and the official book launch was held on November 12, 2004 in Temagami railway station. This was great timing for us as the ONR were starting their 2004 edition of the Santa Claus Express the very next day. For the next 4 weekends the train covered the entire ONR empire including towns on "freight only" lines.

This was my three day old, 2005 Buick's first railfan trip. The Santa Claus Express' leisurely pace was the perfect train to chase as I was trying to "break-in" my new car.

Gery Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Photo <1> Santa Claus Express 2004, Englehart ON, November 14,2004.

Photo <2> Santa Claus Express crossing the Englehart River, 14/11/04

Photo <3> Santa Claus Express near Haileybury ON. The bridge piers once carried the Nipissing
Central's tracks over the then known Temiskaming & Northern Ontario tracks. The electric
interuban service ended on Feb 09,1935.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/11 21:37 by moonliter.

Date: 12/10/11 21:27
Re: ONR's Santa Claus Express

Photo <4> Santa Claus Express just north of the station, Cobalt ON, Nov 14,2004. The B unit(ex-MILW) provides HEP to the train.

Photo <5> Santa Claus Express at Cobalt station. The station is now a museum.

Photo <6> Santa Claus Express south of Cobalt,ON, Nov 14,2004

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/11 21:37 by moonliter.

Date: 12/10/11 21:35

Photo <7> Last shot of the day, just north of Temagami,ON. November 14,2004.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 12/12/11 05:40
Author: DrLoco

Thanks for sharing! I think that's the most ONR pic's I've seen in here in a LONG time!

Date: 12/13/11 13:43
Author: SPARKY374

Great shots Garry! Thanks for sharing them.

Jason

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0643 seconds