Home Open Account Help 409 users online

Canadian Railroads > A small but significant CN line change, Kingston ON.

Date: 06/19/12 09:31
A small but significant CN line change, Kingston ON.
Author: eminence_grise

In the early 1970's, CN built a diversion north of downtown Kingston, Ontario, eliminating some severe curvature on their Montreal-Toronto main line, and many grade crossings.

In the spring of 1972, this project had been announced, so we made the effort to photograph a train on the old alignment and the ex-Grand Trunk station.

This station survives, in a somewhat derelict condition. The tracks, express terminal and other CN buildings are long gone. This station was to the east of downtown Kingston, the new station is west of downtown.

CP also served Kingston, via a north-south line from Pembroke ON., which was abandoned in the 1970's, eliminating a CN-CP interchange near this station. The CP station in downtown Kingston is nicely preserved as the city museum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/22 19:06 by eminence_grise.

Date: 06/19/12 10:50
Re: A small but significant CN line change, Kingston ON

The new line in service in 1984, showing the cut that CN had to make through the Kingston limestone.

In the first picture, showing a westbound Via LRC passenger train, the old route is visible branching off to the south to serve industrial spurs in the city of Kingston. The second image shows an eastbound LRC train in the new cut.

Date: 06/19/12 11:41
Author: joemvcnj

Always wondered why the Kingston station was out in the sprawl.

Date: 06/20/12 10:30
Author: shoretower

I'm sure it was longer ago than 1972 that the diversion was constructed. I have no recollection whatever of the "old" station pictured in the photo dated 1972, and I rode trains to and from Kingston several times in the 1968-72 time frame. I only remember the new, out of town station.

Date: 06/20/12 10:42

shoretower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure it was longer ago than 1972 that the
> diversion was constructed. I have no recollection
> whatever of the "old" station pictured in the
> photo dated 1972, and I rode trains to and from
> Kingston several times in the 1968-72 time frame.
> I only remember the new, out of town station.

I'm pretty sure of my date which was May 1972. I was travelling with a friend who was an expert on train stations and we specifically made the effort to photograph the old and still in service CN Kingston station.

If you Google "Montreal Street, Kingston ON" on Google "Earth", and navigate toward the current CN tracks, you can clearly see the old alignment south of the present one. It wasn't a big line change, perhaps a mile between "Division street" and "Montreal Street" but it eliminated a 45 mph speed restriction.

Someone pointed out that they didn't move the then active CN pole line from the old alignment.

Date: 06/20/12 14:49
Author: ghCBNS

From CN's Employee Magazine "Keeping Track"

"Completion of the new mainline diversion is slated for June 1974, when the entire project, including the station is expected to be finished"

Date: 06/23/12 10:40

The curve that was eliminated by the line change had a 30 miles per hour restriction, and there was a train wreck on the curve in 1947 where an engine crew were killed.

Interestingly, the 1974 line change was a compromise between the City of Kingston and CN. The railway wanted an even straighter alignment to the north.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds