Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Canadian Railroads > Did BC government transfer rail land to CN

Date: 11/23/12 16:40
Did BC government transfer rail land to CN
Author: shortlineboss

I was reading that the BC government has transfered all BC Rail right of way to the CN for $1. Can this be true?

Mike Root
Madras, OR

Date: 11/23/12 18:35
Re: Did BC government transfer rail land to CN
Author: hoggerdoug

Have not heard that rumor, do know that the govenrment gave CN some super property tax breaks, some extending over 20 or so years. To the best of my knowledge CN basically leases the "former" (BC Rail) right of way), from the BC Govt. I hate the term "former BC Rail". Doug

Date: 11/23/12 19:12
Author: BobE

I believe Doug is right.....CN leased BCR. I want to say 999 years. So, the land probably still belongs to the government, and I suppose if BC ever runs out of trees & stuff, CN will pull up the tracks and the nice folks in Victoria can get their hectares back.

BobE

Date: 11/23/12 20:51
Author: PHall

Everything I've read says that BC Rail was leased. The province still owns it.

Date: 11/24/12 00:33
Author: cp1400

Retaining ownership of the land under the railway was part of the hocus pocus former BC Premier Gordon Campbell pulled when he sold the operating rights of BC Rail to his predetermined bidder CN. He had campaigned on the promise he would sell the railway in the late 1990's and lost the election. He returned four years later with an updated promise he would NOT sell the railway. Once elected he promptly turned around and broke his promise. Surprise surprise.

In defense of this horrible decision Campbell said that the province still owns the right of way thereby keeping his promise that he did not sell the railway. To all intents and purposes by leasing the railway to CN for a series of renewable leases totaling 990 years he sold the railway. No one alive today and for another 40 generations will ever remember that BC Railway was actually leased to CN not sold.

Gordon Campbell eventually resigned his post as Premier of BC after totally bungling a major sales tax change that he mislead the public on prior to winning a re-election.

cp1400

Date: 11/24/12 08:41

I think this image says it all. Campbell, as promised he did not sell BC Rail, he gave it away. The people of BC will never really know what a give away it was. A real shame. Doug

Date: 11/24/12 09:18
Author: skeezix91

Being from the east, I haven't been privileged to see it in operation, but I've heard an endless amount of praise for it. BC rail should have NEVER been sold,leased or given away for sure.

http://www.cawcouncil4000.com/archives/2006/06july12_cn_lillooet_derailment.html

This makes it even more painful.

Brian H.

Date: 11/24/12 09:31
Author: eminence_grise

The long running BC Supreme Court investigation continues into the "Sale of BC Rail", although all the principal players have long since been exused from testifying and two minor Government officials took the fall for the higher ups in exchange to having their court costs paid by the BC Government, including the mortgages on their million dollar homes.

The present BC Premier, Christy Clark was appointed after Gordon Campbell resigned. Gordon was appointed trade commissioner to the UK by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, a clear indication that some in the Federal Government saw nothing wrong with the conduct of the BC Premier when he was in power. Christy faces a BC Provincial election in 2013,and strongly denies having any insider knowledge of improprieties in the "Sale of BC Rail" at the time it took place, even though she was deputy premier at the time. As a former radio talk show host, she simply talks louder and changes the subject every time it comes up. I think she misses the opportunity to hang up on any caller she does'nt like from her radio show days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/12 09:32 by eminence_grise.

Date: 11/24/12 14:05

I can't remember, was Hunter Harrison still running CN when this happened?

Date: 11/24/12 15:19

Yes, Hunter was running the show at CN when this was taking place, and Preimer Campbell was playing golf with the CN Chairman of the Board. That old saying, "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/12 15:20 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 11/24/12 20:34
Author: thehighwayman

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> even though she was deputy premier at the time. As
> a former radio talk show host, she simply talks
> louder and changes the subject every time it comes
> up. I think she misses the opportunity to hang up
> on any caller she does'nt like from her radio show
> days.

As a former broadcaster (23 years) I have a personal policy of NOT voting for broadcasters who go into politics. And I strongly urge others to refuse to vote for broadcasters. They enter politics for the wrong reasons.

From what I have been seeing and hearing from BC for the last few years, my policy is justified.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 11/25/12 01:05
Author: algoma11

What about actors ??????

Charlie Farquason would be great !

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 11/25/12 02:31
Author: DPKrause

Provincial politics in British Columbia is never boring, though it must be infuriating to the citizens of the province. For as long as I've been paying attention, going back to the Bennet the 2nd./VanDerZalm era, it seems like every administration has had at least one scandal.

Date: 11/25/12 08:39

DPKrause Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Provincial politics in British Columbia is never
> boring, though it must be infuriating to the
> citizens of the province. For as long as I've been
> paying attention, going back to the Bennet the
> 2nd./VanDerZalm era, it seems like every
> administration has had at least one scandal.

That's why it's called the Wild, Wild West!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0611 seconds