Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP 4065 Status?

Date: 12/18/12 16:06
CP 4065 Status?
Author: v1perfan

Hi all,

Does anyone know the status of CP 4065 (C-Liner) that was being restored at the Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa? I had a private tour of the facilities in March 2003 and got an up close and personal view of her.....it was very disheartening to see her as a former shell (no pun intended) of herself.

Here's a couple of the many, MANY shots I took. I'd love to see her restored to her former glory in the future. I was happy to see 4104 restored...now let's get 4065 done too.

Brian.

Date: 12/19/12 08:12
Re: CP 4065 Status?
Author: canadiannational1996

Hi, i am a member of the Bytown Railway Society at the museum and i can tell you that there has not been much work put on it. It has been moved a bit further back in the museum warehouse.The museum is now interested in us completing a cosmetic restoration of CN #40 a 4-4-0 which is Canadas oldest mainline steam locomotive.

Date: 12/19/12 10:38
Author: v1perfan

Ok, thanks for the info. At least it's still on the books to be done.

/b;

Date: 12/19/12 16:39
Author: Charls

Hi, I am also a BRS member and on the Board of Director, and can say that there is no plans in the books whatsoever to get it fix nor any other piece of equipment but the #40, which is meant to be the greating visitor artifacts in a new (who knows when) museum of science and tech. It is in a save covered place, that is the only saving grace.

Date: 12/19/12 17:02
Author: eminence_grise

A history of this locomotive in presentation is in order. 4065 is significant as it was one of a pair of CLC C-Liners painted in a demo paint scheme (a modified CP grey and maroon scheme) and named "City of Kingston"

The late CP historian and archivist, Omer Lavalee had several diesel locomotives put aside for preservation when he was working for the railway. He retired and didn't live long in retirement. The locomotives were in covered storage while he was alive, but after he was gone, they ended up exposed to the weather for many years near Quebec City.

After several changes of top management, CP decided to dispose of the collection, and they went to a variety of preservation societies.

To be fair to the Bytown Railway Society, and the museum in Ottawa, 4065 hasn't further deteriorated in their care, and is now in covered storage.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0989 seconds