Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Canadian Railroads > A 1993 ride on the Algoma Central

Date: 02/07/14 08:58
A 1993 ride on the Algoma Central
Author: eminence_grise

I rode the ACR passenger train from Sault Ste.Marie to Hearst ON. in December 1993.

When loading film into my trusty Nikkormat 35mm SLR, one of my eyelashes fell into the interior of the camera, and several rolls of film had an out of focus hair as part of the images.

Throughout the two days of the journey from the Sault to Hearst and back, it was snowing steadily, with ice fog at some locations.

The southbound ACR 2 is shown during the crew change at Hawk Junction ON., and meeting the northbound ACR 1 passenger train at Eton ON.

Date: 02/07/14 09:08
Re: A 1993 ride on the Algoma Central

At Mekatina ON., a passenger has placed his baggage beside the tracks to indicate he wants to board the train. He is locking up his cabin prior to boarding.

Many of the ACR station/section houses have been sold as summer cottages or hunting lodges. Batchewana and Hubert ON. are examples.

There is no road access to these locations, and when the train is discontinued on March 31st, 2014, they will close up and be abandoned.

Thanks, Stephen Harper,Prime Minister of Canada for pulling the subsidy. I'm sure there is road access to your summer cottage north of Toronto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/22 19:40 by eminence_grise.

Date: 02/07/14 11:39
Author: thehighwayman

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Thanks, Stephen Harper,Prime Minister of Canada
> for pulling the subsidy. I'm sure there is road
> access to your summer cottage north of Toronto.

Phil:

You seem to be forgetting that we taxpayers provide him a very posh cottage in the Ottawa area -- at Meech Lake.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 02/07/14 12:52

thehighwayman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Phil:
>
> You seem to be forgetting that we taxpayers
> provide him a very posh cottage in the Ottawa area
> -- at Meech Lake.

Meech Lake is like Camp David in the US, a very secure rustic retreat, best known for the failed Constitutional reform conference hosted by Prime Minister Mulroney.

When the Liberals replaced Mulroney, they found that Mila Mulroney had replaced some of the furnishings at Sussex Drive with some really hideous items. I'm sure some of them ended up at the Meech Lake cootage. Lava lamps anyone?

Date: 02/07/14 18:33
Author: ACR_Ted

Here is a photo of Mekatina taken from about the same spot as Phil's photo, just a *few* years earlier ... August of 1970.

The old section house (partly in the foreground) burned to the ground sometime in the mid '70's, and the station itself was removed in the early '90's.

Mekatina is the place I was the night the Edmund Fitzgerald went down...

Ted

Date: 02/07/14 18:38
Author: jp1822

A route I had hoped to travel, but guess I missed out on this one....guess I better get up to Churchill soon!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0887 seconds