Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Canadian Railroads > Bridge reconstruction in Hamilton, Ontario

Date: 04/07/14 08:25
Bridge reconstruction in Hamilton, Ontario
Author: TheCurator

After a hundred years or so (sarcastically speaking) it looks like the CN bridges over Kenilworth Avenue and Centennial Parkway are FINALLY going to be either replaced or reconstructed.

Kenilworth Ave. runs north and south from the foot of the Niagara Escarpment to the industrial heart of the city, ending at Burlington Street and the entrance to National Steel Car. This bridge (<4 meters clearance) always seemed to be in the way of truck drivers unfamiliar with it who tried to move or remove it with their cargo boxes or trailers.

Centennial Parkway (ex-provincial hwy. #20/now regional road #20) also runs north/south from the Queen Elizabeth Way to Rymal Road (up to a few years ago the southern boundary of the city). This underpass was narrowed to a single lane northbound when the Walmart Supercentre was built north of the CN main lines last year to allow for pedestrian traffic.

For many years both underpasses have been in rough shape and susceptible to quite severe flooding during heavy rains and it was never decided (until recently I guess, given the sudden upcoming construction) who's responsibility it was to repair or replace them (the city of Hamilton or CN).

I'll try to keep everyone abreast of the progress, with photos.

Date: 04/08/14 08:46
Re: Bridge reconstruction in Hamilton, Ontario
Author: Thumper

There has been considerable shifting of buried electrical and related services on the east side of Centennial Parkway to the north (towards Lake Ontario)
and the CN Grimsby Subdivision in the last few weeks. On the north side of the tracks closer to the Queen Elizabeth Way to Niagara it is obvious there shall be considerable changes to the various intersecting roads and side streets. The area sees considerable traffic on a daily basis. Signs to alert motorists to possible delays on Centennial Parkeway are posted some distance before the exits to same on both the verges of the Queen Elizabeth Way from each direction.

Looking at the survey stakes it would appear the new underpass may well be all of two lanes each way with a sidewalk. They really need at least three lanes given the volume of traffic. When the new Walmart was constructed to the north of the tracks on the site of General Concrete, later Waxmans Recycling and other big-box stores; real estate was set aside on the east side of Centennial Parkway to allow the construction to happen.

So far there are no signs indicating underpass construction will be happening soon.

As I don't use the Kenilworth underpass on a regular basis can not speak to the construction in that location. Both locations are notorious for flooding to a considerable depth of water each time a heavy rainstorm passes.

Hopefully the locals shall continue to report on the progress of these much needed projects over their lifespan.

Bryce Lee

Date: 04/08/14 09:04
Author: thehighwayman

I don't dispute the need to replace the Centennial Pkwy structure ... but the city made the problem worse by giving in to the cyclonuts and closing one lane to cars so that bikes can use it. Yep, in a city where bicycles should be illegal from Nov 1 to Mar 30 every year!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 04/08/14 20:25
Author: TheCurator

Thumper wrote:
"When the new Walmart was constructed to the north of the tracks on the site of General Concrete, later Waxmans Recycling and other big-box stores; real estate was set aside on the east side of Centennial Parkway to allow the construction to happen."

Speaking of which...

Date: 04/08/14 21:34
Author: Thumper

When I wrote the reply was thinking of the Stoney Creek traffic circle and what was once then.
Then, provincial highway 20 was through beautiful orchards and hot houses growing all forms
of crop and related. My grandparents on my father's side lived in Stoney Creek so my early weekends were often spent there. My grandfather at one time owned a hardware store in Stoney Creek and later sold real estate, often farms. He died in his 99th year when I was perhaps 16 or 17.
The entire area has changed, sadly although his house on Second Street South remains. For an excellent meal may I suggest The village Restaurant in downtown Stoney Creek. The infamous Stoney Creek Dairy is now a field of rubble and the planned for retirement home still has not been constructed two years on. The TH&B now CP still sees frequent train movements up and down the face of the Niagara Escarpment above what was the village. CN's
Grimsby Sub parallels the Queen Elizabeth Way with more less regular service.

As to Will MacKenzie's comment about bicycles; they are the bain of motorists! The underpass will maybe be two lanes wide each way with what may have been a third lane now devoted to a bicycle lane and room for joggers and pedestrians. Centennial Parkway goes down towards Confederation Park which in turn is the Lake Ontario waterfront and hence in the eyes of planners must be accessible to all and that includes those walking and cyclists...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds