Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN 528/CP 930/NS 30T in Montreal

Date: 06/08/14 15:07
CN 528/CP 930/NS 30T in Montreal
Author: kgmontreal

Perhaps the most misunderstood train symbol in the Northeast is the joint CN to NS freight between Montreal, QC and Enola, PA. The train which handles resource products (lumber, paper and aluminum) from Canadian National in Quebec and the Maritime provinces originates in CN's Taschereau Yard in Montreal.

For years the NS bound cars were dragged west to Toronto and then Fort Erie in Ontario and from there to Buffalo, NY. At one time the train then went down the Buffalo Line to Enola. Later it went down the Southern Tier to Binghamton and then south to Enola via Scranton and Sunbury. This was a very long and time-wasteful route for cars assembled in Montreal and destined to NS points south of Enola.

A new route was selected several years ago that had the CN train routed down the CP-controlled D&H from Montreal to Sunbury. The train was symboled as CN 328 southbound and 329 northbound. However, CP's computer system required a CP compatible train symbol so while on CP rails the CN train was known as 930/931.

About a year ago CN decided to route its train from Montreal to Rouses Point, NY on its own rails. Currently the train's symbols and routes are as follows:

CN 528/529 from CN Taschereau Yard Montreal to Rouses Point, NY
CP 930/931 while on the D&H from Rouses Point to Sunbury, PA
NS 30T/31T from Sunbury to Enola.

Photos of CN 528/529 are not easy to get. 528 usually leaves Montreal in the late evening after dark and 529 arrives before dawn. But today was an exception with 528 leaving Montreal about 0930 for the run to Rouses Point. It's shown here passing Turcot West as CN 309 awaits a crew change.

KG

Date: 06/09/14 07:44
Re: CN 528/CP 930/NS 30T in Montreal
Author: JPB

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> For years the NS bound cars were dragged west to
> Toronto and then Fort Erie in Ontario and from
> there to Buffalo, NY. At one time the train then
> went down the Buffalo Line to Enola. Later it
> went down the Southern Tier to Binghamton and then
> south to Enola via Scranton and Sunbury. This was
> a very long and time-wasteful route for cars
> assembled in Montreal and destined to NS points
> south of Enola.
>
>
I'm guessing that CN / NS yarded these cars at Toronto and Buffalo, adding transit time. In the early days of the 930/931 train operations, NS would make block set-off and pick-up with the 12T/13T trains at Binghamton. But I'm also guessing the complex maneuvering from CP to NS and back to CP tracks consumed too much time so I think today's 930/931 operation runs through Binghamton with only a crew change meaning Montreal to/from Enola with no intermediate switching or classification.

Date: 06/09/14 09:12
Author: kgmontreal

JPB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> >
> I'm guessing that CN / NS yarded these cars at
> Toronto and Buffalo, adding transit time. In the
> early days of the 930/931 train operations, NS
> would make block set-off and pick-up with the
> 12T/13T trains at Binghamton. But I'm also
> guessing the complex maneuvering from CP to NS and
> back to CP tracks consumed too much time so I
> think today's 930/931 operation runs through
> Binghamton with only a crew change meaning
> Montreal to/from Enola with no intermediate
> switching or classification.

That's the way I understand it to operate. On CP 930/931 is strictly an overhead operation with no cars added or subtracted.

KG

Date: 06/11/14 15:30
Author: ns1000

NICE pic!!!! Thanks for the explanation of this train. I have been wondering.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds