Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN derailment at Brockville, ON cancels VIA trains

Date: 07/10/14 05:30
CN derailment at Brockville, ON cancels VIA trains
Author: DrLoco

I enjoyed them calling the train a "freighter" as if it were part of the CN Steamship lines...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/via-trains-cancelled-after-cn-freighter-derails-in-brockville-1.2702046

Date: 07/10/14 05:36
Re: CN derailment at Brockville, ON cancels VIA trains
Author: Ray_Murphy

DrLoco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I enjoyed them calling the train a "freighter" as
> if it were part of the CN Steamship lines...

Well, the CBC is know to call fishermen "fishers" (a weasel-like animal, to be specific), so nothing like this surprises me.

Ray

Date: 07/10/14 05:53
Author: toledopatch

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
> Well, the CBC is know to call fishermen "fishers"
> (a weasel-like animal, to be specific), so nothing
> like this surprises me.

That's a bit more understandable -- it's intended to be gender-neutral, of course, and less awkward than fisherpersons.

My favorite in that regard is Flagger Ahead signs as a gender-neutral substitute for Flagman Ahead. Guess what the old-time meaning for "flagger" is? Prostitute.

Date: 07/10/14 06:40
Author: reddogsix

Some pics here.

Looks like the autos came right out of the loaded racks.

https://www.facebook.com/1037BOBFM?fref=photo

Andrew

Date: 07/10/14 08:46
Author: BobE

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/via-trains-cancelled-after-cn-freight-train-derails-in-brockville-1.2702046

Maybe CBC writers read TO. Note that the link has a new name since DrLoco posted it and the headline when you click uses correct terminology.

BobE

Date: 07/10/14 11:02
Author: RayLGrinder

BobE Wrote:
> >
> Maybe CBC writers read TO. Note that the link has
> a new name since DrLoco posted it and the headline
> when you click uses correct terminology.
>
> BobE

CBC will probably continue to update this site throughout the day. The latest update at 1:21 PM EDT has an aerial photo of the derailment plus another one released by the TSB.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/14 11:11 by RayLGrinder.

Date: 07/11/14 07:22
Author: DrawingroomA

Earlier this morning VIA said they expected train service to resume by noon. That is no longer the case.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/via-train-service-cancelled-for-2nd-day-after-derailment-1.2703755

The following is the essence of an e-mail I received. At the time I am posting this, it is not appearing on their Website:

VIA Rail services between Toronto-Montréal and Toronto-Ottawa to resume tomorrow
07/11/2014

Alternate transportation offered today

MONTREAL, July 11, 2014– Following yesterday’s derailment of a CN freight train that closed tracks on the Toronto-Montréal and Toronto-Ottawa routes, in both directions, VIA Rail passenger train service continues to be disrupted today. Normal service will resume tomorrow morning (Saturday, July 12). The extension of the service interruption is required to enable CN teams to complete the restoration of damaged railways and allow the passage of its freight trains, blocked since yesterday.

Passengers scheduled to travel on the affected routes will be transported to their destinations by motorcoach. VIA Rail thanks its customers for their understanding. Delays are expected through to the end of the day. Service recovery measures such as travel credits will be offered and extra charges paid for Business Class tickets will be reimbursed to affected passengers.

Travellers wishing to modify their reservations may do so, without charge, regardless of the category of fare paid, by visiting our website. For more information, visit viarail.ca, follow VIA Rail Canada on Twitter @VIA_Railor Facebook, or call toll-free 1-888-VIA-RAIL (1-888-842-7245) or 1-800-268-9503 (hearing-impaired).

Date: 07/11/14 14:10
Author: newtonville150

"Freighter" and "Cargo train" are far from the worst...that has to be "firefighter" instead of "fireman", which is completely the opposite of what the job actually entails.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds