Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Canadian Railroads > BNSF empty coal trains through Abbotsford, B.C.

Date: 08/17/14 00:18
BNSF empty coal trains through Abbotsford, B.C.
Author: Marcus

BNSF is diverting its empty coal trains returning from the Roberts Bank coal terminal.
Instead of using the BNSF New Westminster Subdivision to Blaine, Washington,
they are travelling east through the Fraser Valley before crossing to the United States at Sumas, Washington.

These BNSF empty coal trains use the Southern Railway of British Columbia (SRY) tracks and crews through Abbotsford
before crossing to the United States at Huntingdon, B.C. / Sumas, Washington.

1 & 2. On the north side of Abbotsford, BNSF trains descend about two miles of steep 2.7 percent grade to the fertile Matsqui Prairie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/14 00:40 by Marcus.

Date: 08/17/14 00:22
Re: BNSF empty coal trains in Abbotsford, B.C.

3 & 4 & 5. After bisecting numerous farms and country roads of the Matsqui Prairie,
BNSF empty coal trains stop at Clayburn, usually picking up a BNSF crew.
Clayburn is where the SRY Fraser Valley Sub crosses the CP Mission Subdivision.
About 2 years ago, the ancient manual interlocking was decommissioned and replaced by STOP signs.
The bagged semaphore signals on the CP Mission Sub remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/14 01:25 by Marcus.

Date: 08/17/14 00:34

6 & 7. Heading south toward the border,
trains ascend a steep grade, up to 2.5 percent,
before passing through the middle of Abbotsford city.

Date: 08/17/14 00:39

8. Approaching the U.S. border, BNSF empty coal trains pass through the SRY Huntingdon yard.

9. Since the CP Mission Sub has the connection with the BNSF at the U.S.A. / Canada border,
trains use a connecting track between the SRY Huntingdon yard and the CP Huntingdon yard.
“ I thought you were retired”. A crew member of the CP Sumas job chats with an SRY crew member.
Retired CP employees with distributed power experience were recruited for the diverted BNSF trains.

10. The last of a BNSF train crosses the border to Sumas, Washington.

Date: 08/17/14 10:19
Author: Griggs

Marcus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 9. Since the CP Mission Sub has the connection
> with the BNSF at the U.S.A. / Canada border,
> trains use a connecting track between the SRY
> Huntingdon yard and the CP Huntingdon yard.
>
Great photos and it looks to be an interesting area.
What's the usual cross-boarder traffic? Is this where BNSF and SRY interchange? What crosses here instead of going thru Vancouver?

Date: 08/17/14 22:01
Author: upbuddyboy

Thanks for all these shots...I grew up in Sumas...my dad was a customs broker there and I was around the tracks a lot...in those days the only way to Mission was to go over the CP railway bridge until the south span fell into the rivers...lots of memories...keep the shots coming
Brian in Keizer Oregon

Date: 08/18/14 04:46
Author: DrLoco

Great series...curiously, Does coming back to work affect those retired engineer's pensions? I know that the railroad retirement board here in the US specifically forbids retiree's from working at railroads. Most of those retiree's that do work here are "independent contractors" and are self employed, and the company they are working for hires that company...
The issue one of my friends ran into was that upon his death, since he was working as an "Independent contractor" and not a retired railroader, his spouse was only able to claim spousal benefits from our social security administration, not the retirement board...that effectively halved her benefits.

Date: 08/18/14 06:19
Author: thehighwayman

DrLoco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> affect those retired engineer's pensions? I know
> that the railroad retirement board here in the US
> specifically forbids retiree's from working at
> railroads. Most of those retiree's that do work

I can't speak specifically to the engineer's pension situation, but for the most part, retired individuals can work, up to a earning a certain $$$ figure, without penalty.
When I was working, I saw many co-workers retire (the government was offering early retirement incentives) and start work with consultant companies immediately. We used to joke that the consultants were lined up at the door grabbing people as they left!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 08/20/14 17:27
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch.
JB

Date: 08/24/14 11:06
Author: ns1000

GOOD stuff...!!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.06 seconds