Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN 815128: Mystery Car

Date: 10/22/14 19:40
CN 815128: Mystery Car
Author: Ray_Murphy

In 1976, CN had a couple of out-of-the-way tracks in their Taschereau Yard complex that were visible from the adjacent CP line. During my commute on CP on 18 August 1976, this unusual car was spotted there. It would be interesting to find out what this car's intended purpose was. It looks like some kind of two-level stock car.

Ray

Date: 10/22/14 23:25
Re: CN 815128: Mystery Car
Author: arwye

Ray:
From pages 36 & 37 of Volume Six: Canadian Railcar Pictorial, Canadian National Refrigerator & Stock Cars:

CN began a boxcar to stockcar conversion program that ran between 1967 and 1974. Two hundred and fifty five of these 40'-6" double deck stock cars were rebuilt over this eight year period from 503500 series boxcars. These boxcars were split and the roof raised to add a second deck and 4'-11" of headroom. The lower deck had 5'-5" clearance. The original Dreadnaught ends and Hutchins roof were retained. Cars were used for hog and sheep service. Car series was 815000-815254. The Canadian Railcar Pictorial series booklets are still available from Central Hobbies in Vancouver.

Date: 10/23/14 00:38
Author: rschonfelder

arwye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Canadian Railcar Pictorial
> series booklets are still available from Central
> Hobbies in Vancouver.

The fact your question over an obscure car can be answered from it indicates the value of the comprehensive series. I highly recommend them so pick them up while you can. I only wish Tim Horton's BCR series would have kept going. Do not anticipate any reprints as the person who financed the series passed away. Luckily, the CPR and CNR series were completed.

Rick

Date: 10/23/14 08:09
Author: nsscot

i have them Rick can you give total books done? just want to see if i missed any

thanks Don

Date: 10/23/14 11:20
Author: YukonYeti

I would have thought this car would be used to transport Woolly Mammoths... Now I know..

Yukon Yeti

Date: 10/23/14 12:42
Author: snoopy51

mmmmmmmmmm
This is your first class travel car.... Yukon.loll

Date: 10/23/14 14:28
Author: arwye

Don:

I'm afraid my good friend Rick-In-Oz misspoke. The both the CN & CP series were not completed at the time of the publishers untimely death. The last three volumes were: Volume 8- Canadian National Covered Hopper Cars, Volume 9 (by Tim Horton) PGE/BCR Boxcars part 1, Volume 10 Canadian Pacific Piggyback to Intermodal. Volume 11, the CNR counterpart on their Piggyback to Intermodal was never completed.

Central Hobbies in Vancouver bought all the remaining stock of these booklets, and is selling complete sets. Please contact Hal Kinsey.

Regards,

Richard Yaremko

nsscot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i have them Rick can you give total books done?
> just want to see if i missed any
>
> thanks Don

Date: 10/24/14 17:32
Author: Lackawanna484

Is there anything, anything at all that one of you guys doesn't know?

I am often amazed at the amount of technical info available on Train Orders

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds