Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Canadian Railroads > Riding the Scoot Across Maine

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/26/14 09:03
Riding the Scoot Across Maine
Author: MaineLines

In the mid 1960s my brother and I several times rode Canadian Pacific's mixed train nicknamed the Scoot from Brownville Junction, Maine to Megantic, Quebec and return. It was out one day and back the next. The following are shots from those trips in no particular order. First up we have crossing the iconic trestle at Onawa and passing through the then only accessible by train town of Onawa.

Date: 11/26/14 09:10
Re: Riding the Scoot Across Maine

The train usually consisted of several boxcars, a combine, and a van. It was typically pulled by an RS-2 as shown here making a setout along the way.

Date: 11/26/14 09:16

Here is some of the scenery along the way.

Date: 11/26/14 09:18
Author: kgmontreal

Great photos. Thanks for posting them.

KG

Date: 11/26/14 09:21

Here we have the Scoot ready to depart Megantic then climbing out of town toward the summit at Boundary.

Date: 11/26/14 09:28
Author: rev66vette

Awesome!

Date: 11/26/14 09:29

There was an active lumber mill at Holeb that required quite a bit of work by the train.

Date: 11/26/14 09:30
Author: cnr6776

What a great set of pictures. Wish I could've spent more time along the CP in Maine. Thanks for posting them.

Date: 11/26/14 09:35

The Scoot was often in the hole for oncoming freights.

Date: 11/26/14 10:09
Author: DavidP

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing them.

Many TO'ers probably know this already, but the Scoot shared (with GTW's Detroit - Durand local) the distinction of being the last scheduled standard-gauge passenger train to be powered by steam on a class 1 in the US. If I remember correctly an RS-3 took over in mid-March 1960.

Dave

Date: 11/26/14 12:00
Author: rschonfelder

Those photos were fantastic. And you must have shot Kodachrome - colour has stayed. It really is a glimpse into the CPR past; name boards, MoW buildings and a mixed train not to mention Alcos - MLW's.

What else do you have sitting around your closet?

Rick

Date: 11/26/14 12:13

Well, here is one last one and probably my favorite of the bunch. As I remember this is at Bodfish just west of Brownville Junction on the return trip home. We were put in the siding for the meet because this 100 car westbound was struggling uphill after making its Bangor and Aroostook pickup at BVJ.

Date: 11/26/14 12:44
Author: FiveChime

Great photos Larry!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 11/26/14 13:34
Author: tomstp

That is a great look back at a good time in railroading. Thanks so much for posting these. I hope you have many more.

Date: 11/26/14 14:06
Author: mopacrr

I am curious did the Scoot always have a caboose and a combine? I know a couple of CN Mixed Trains that I rode only had a combine. Was any LCL business handled and what year did the mixed service end?

Date: 11/26/14 15:03
Author: cvrrr

Great shots, thanks for sharing

Date: 11/26/14 15:04
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a wonderful series of pictures, thanks for sharing them. I noticed the boxcar in the first set out was marked for the International of Maine. Was that usually the case for loads originated in one company, and delivered in the other?

Date: 11/26/14 16:39

I believe the International of Maine cars were designated for loading only in the United States.

Date: 11/26/14 16:41
Author: Lackawanna484

MaineLines Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the International of Maine cars were
> designated for loading only in the United States.

Thank you.

Date: 11/26/14 19:20
Author: robj

One of the best posts I have seen!!!!

Thanks!

Bob Jordan

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0608 seconds