Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP's 2014Q4 Operating Ratio lower than at CN

Date: 01/29/15 00:42
CP's 2014Q4 Operating Ratio lower than at CN
Author: Marcus

For the first quarter in a long time, CP's operating ratio was lower than at CN.
For the fourth quarter of 2014, CP's OR was 59.8, while CN's OR was 60.7.

For the full year 2014, though, CN's operating ratio of 61.9 surpassed CP's OR of 64.7.

Date: 01/29/15 06:57
Re: CP's 2014Q4 Operating Ratio lower than at CN
Author: iomalley

Anything less than 75% is a recipe for disaster. 60% is not sustainable. No or little investment in track will always keep it low.

I remember reading the 2006 CN annual report and they were patting themselves on the back for a 'significant investment in track' of something like 250Mil in the Baton Rouge area....Um, wasn't that just repairs due to Katrina? Smoke and mirrors...

Sean Steele
London, ON

Date: 01/29/15 08:38
Author: Lackawanna484

If the railroad is already in decent shape, a mid to low 60s operating ratio should allow improvements and still provide a margin of safety. Union Pacific has done that for years. And it is arguably the best run railroad in the US and Canada.

Was CP, on the other hand, well maintained under the Fred Green administration?

Date: 01/29/15 08:45
Author: RRTom

It seems to me that the OR is a figure that can be manipulated. At the very least, it seems that deferred maintenance or other tricks will give you a better OR, so in that case a good OR doesn't accurately depict the health of the RR. As typical these days, management is financially rewarded only for short-term performance. Comments?

Date: 01/29/15 11:17
Author: SR2

I can't speak for the entire system, but locally, track was better under the previous regime. Amtrak passengers on the CHI-MSP line will tell you how the ride is, and how much better it was a few years ago. I just had that very conversation in the last week.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/29/15 15:16
Author: IC1038west

What a "garbage" unit of measure. It just means bigger golden parachutes for the investors, bigger bonuses for the managers, while the physical plant is in "getting raped" mode.

Date: 01/29/15 19:25
Author: tomstp

Precisely.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds