Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Canadian Railroads > Vulcan, Alberta

Date: 02/28/15 12:35
Vulcan, Alberta
Author: tq-07fan

Vulcan Alberta locates on top of a hill at mile 51.8 on the CP Rail Alberta Division Aldersyde Sub, on the line from 12th Street in Calgary to Lethbridge Alberta. Vulcan was named by a CP Rail surveyor after the Roman God of fire. With the name of Vulcan the town of less than 2000 became something special as the popularity of Star trek grew. The town is now the Star Trek Capitol of Canada complete with Startrek Enterprise and the Vulcan Tourism and Trek Centre. (information for WiKi and town website) http://www.townofvulcan.ca

Date: 02/28/15 12:36
Re: Vulcan, Alberta
Author: tq-07fan

In Winter of 1997 we tested the Aldersyde Sub on the Sperry car (SRS 127) after testing up to Edmonton. I made the Vulcan greeting sign and the CP Rail Roadmaster told me to take my camera and go toward the PetroCan. I took pictures of the Enterprise sculpture that had been erected just two years prior in 1997. The Tourism and Trek Centre had yet to be built but I believe it was already planned when I was there. I was pretty happy to take pictures of the Enterprise and to also be able to say that I spent a night in Vulcan. Ironically I found this roll of pictures this week as it had Edmonton trolleybus pictures that I needed to scan in for an upcoming slide show. Not totally rail related but fitting time to share these with the passing of the most famous Vulcan yesterday https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/leonard-nimoy-mourned-in-canadian--home--of-vulcan--alberta-183212996.html.

Jim

Date: 02/28/15 13:36
Author: PHall

Wonder if they're flying their flags at half-staff today since Leonard Nimoy passed away yesterday?

Date: 03/01/15 05:23
Author: Thumper

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder if they're flying their flags at half-staff
> today since Leonard Nimoy passed away yesterday?

My thought as well...

Date: 03/02/15 06:42
Author: twin_star_rocket

And Riverside, Iowa is the future birthplace of James T. Kirk.

Brian Ehni

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1422 seconds