Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Canadian Railroads > Update on the Canadian

Date: 03/27/15 18:50
Update on the Canadian
Author: DrawingroomA

VIA has now officially decided the Canadian east of Winnipeg is cancelled "until April 14th" which includes that Saturday departure of #1 from Toronto. Although all bookings are blocked until May, VIA says they are hoping to be back to normal by mid-April. VIA alleges they are sending e-mails to all affected passengers for whom they have an address - phone calls to others - but I know this isn't necessarily the case.  I waited until four days before my booked trip from Vancouver to phone and say I really need to a definite answer about my train, unlike the previous response: "it probably isn't running."  My travelling companions then did the same. We were advised that e-mails were sent.

We re-booked our trip for June.  The reduced point level and fare levels at which we booked are being honoured, as promised, even for peak season.

Date: 03/28/15 03:43
Re: Update on the Canadian
Author: andersonb109

I was hoping for a perminente re-route on CP. Much less congestion, more scenic, and more population. But that makes way too much sense to implement.

Date: 03/28/15 16:56
Author: chatnoir

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was hoping for a perminente re-route on CP.
> Much less congestion, more scenic, and more
> population. But that makes way too much sense to
> implement.

I don't know if VIA would ever be able to convince Eugene to take it, no matter how much money they offered, or how low the traffic levels are.

James Adeney
Toronto

Date: 03/28/15 18:49
Author: bbickle

Thank you for the information.  I'm booked for a May 5 departure from Vancouver and presently hoping for the best.

Date: 03/28/15 20:40
Author: jp1822

chatnoir Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> andersonb109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was hoping for a perminente re-route on CP.
> > Much less congestion, more scenic, and more
> > population. But that makes way too much sense
> to
> > implement.
>
> I don't know if VIA would ever be able to convince
> Eugene to take it, no matter how much money they
> offered, or how low the traffic levels are.
>
> James Adeney
> Toronto

A VIA rep was quoted in the Thunder Bay newspaper that the re-route was not an option even though the people in and around Thunder Bay and political reps wanted passenger service on the line again.....I too was hoping a re-route would be done AND it would benefit the overall patronage of the Canadian.....Put RDC service on the route between Capreol - Sioux Lookout - and Winnipeg. Even if it is something like the Jasper-Prince Rupert train....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0545 seconds