Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Canadian Railroads > Baggage storage in Vancouver

Date: 05/01/15 09:56
Baggage storage in Vancouver
Author: sums007

I'm in a bit of a quandary.  I'm leaving Vancouver on a Sunday evening on #2, but apparently there's no baggage service in the Vancouver station, according to the VIA website.  I find that odd, since there's a Sunday departure.  I've got all afternoon to kill and don't want to lug around my suitcase.  Are there any pay storage lockers in Vancouver Central Station?

Date: 05/01/15 10:34
Re: Baggage storage in Vancouver
Author: andersonb109

Unless something has changed, that's not true. The VIA ticket office is open all day at least on days the train operates and I was able to have  them hold my bag to be picked up prior to departure in the evening. I dont' recall ever seeing any storeage lockers.

Date: 05/01/15 12:38
Author: 2839Canadian

How about Toronto?  Since No. 1 doesn't leave until 10:00, can passengers have their luggage held at the VIA station until boarding time?

Thanks in advance

Date: 05/01/15 13:00
Author: DrawingroomA

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about Toronto?  Since No. 1 doesn't leave
> until 10:00, can passengers have their luggage
> held at the VIA station until boarding time?
>
> Thanks in advance

Yes, on nights that the Canadian departs Toronto the baggage room stays open until 22:45 according to VIA's Website.  The storage fee is $6 per bag.  In my experience if you have two small bags the agent will run the baggage tag through both handles and charge you for only one bag.  The baggage hours shown on VIA's site have not been updated to show that as of now the Canadian runs three times a week.  Similarly, for Vancouver it shows the baggage service only on two evenings: Tuesday and Friday.  As of this week-end there is also a Sunday train.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/15 13:02 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 05/01/15 14:15
Author: ghCBNS

Sometimes I've just gone into a hotel and asked if they could store my luggage for a couple of hours even if not staying there and can't recall ever being refused. I just tip when picking up..

Date: 05/01/15 19:01
Author: andersonb109

Or you can leave your stuff in the VIA lounge at Toronto Union Station. But its not watched or secure. Baggage room is a much better option. Second on the hotel. I've done the same. They probably won't even know you aren't staying there. Just go to the bell man, tell him you checked out and can  they hold it for a few hours. Tip helps.

Date: 05/01/15 19:26
Author: DrawingroomA

Indeed, it can work out cheaper to tip the hotel staff than to pay $6 per bag.  It used to be possible to give your bags to a red cap at any time of the day.  They would be stored then put on the train when it arrives in the station. The red caps - now called station service agents - in Toronto (and Montreal) no longer provide that service.  They will assist with luggage only if the train is in the station.

Date: 05/02/15 11:03
Author: BlaineM

When my wife and I took the train from Vancouver to Toronto we arrived at the station maybe around 9 am.  I went to the counter showed my reservation the station manager asked if we need anything from our luggage we said no he said he would take them and it would be in our compartment when we boarded.  I assumed that was usual procedure.  We didn't have a need for storage.
Blaine 
American Fork Utah

Date: 05/02/15 12:33
Author: sums007

Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm presuming that folks at VIA did not update their baggage information to reflect the train's 3-days-a-week operation.

Date: 05/02/15 16:40
Author: railsmith

There were baggage lockers at Pacific Central until the summer of 2013. They were out on the bus platform, but could be used by anyone, including the street riff-raff who live in the park opposite the station. The lockers were removed after a security scare.

As already noted, rail passengers can leave their luggage in the baggage room on train departure days, for a fee.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds