Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Canadian Railroads > "Schools out for summer"

Date: 06/29/15 19:58
"Schools out for summer"
Author: eminence_grise

Between Barriere and Clearwater BC, the CN Clearwater Sub. is on the east shore of the North Thompson River, and BC Highway 5 is on the west shore, with no views across the river for about twenty miles.

A friend told me there are a couple of photo locations possible, so this afternoon, we explored Dunn Lake Road, north from Barriere.  A Herzog work train meant there was no afternoon train traffic, and Dunn Lake road finally turned away from the tracks.

This long abandoned one room schoolhouse overlooks the siding at Chu Chua BC.

This Herzog pickup tested the tracks around Vavenby BC before clearing and letting westbound CN container train 111 proceed west through Birch Island BC.

Later, a huge thunderstorm passed through the area, causing the RTC (dispatcher) to issue a flash flood warning to all trains.

Date: 06/29/15 21:04
Re: "Schools out for summer"
Author: upbuddyboy

Nice...I like that area.
Brian

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/29/15 22:07
Re: "Schools out for summer"
Author: LKeithR

It is a nice area.  I've mentioned before that we have friends out at Birch Island so we get up there fairly often.  We also pass through if we're heading to Edmonton to visit one of our daughters.

I see you were stopped at the Wells Gray Inn at the junction--the food there is not too bad but next time you're in Clearwater try out the Painted Turtle Restaurant over on Dutch Lake Rd.  The food is usually pretty good and the restaurant overlooks Dutch Lake so it can be quite pleasant and cool in the evening.  For something a little different when you're at Birch Island follow the Birch Island Lost Creek Rd. north to Vavenby.  You're on the wrong side of the river to see any trains but it's a nice little back road drive...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3357 seconds